131st AES NYC 2011

Re: 131st AES NYC 2011

I know the AES likes panels but...

What about something more interactive for a change. Here are two.

1: What Not to Do with Loudspeakers. Here is a chance for us to see what really happens when loudspeakers get abused. We could easily get people/manufacturers to donate some loudspeakers and watch what happens when they (the loudspeakers) blow up. Get a voice coil hot enough to light a gig. See how far a cone gets launched. How much power is too much, etc.

2. Man vs Machine (or software): Have a guy(s) with great ears race a software operator to ring out a room over a set time period and compare the results.

It's not that AES (or us chairs) like panels; it's that we attempt to present topics in any form, be it single presenter, panel or one-on-one interview, that are tutorial and instructive in nature. In other words, topics that show you how to provide an improved sound reinforcement system/experience for your client, the audience and yourself.

Although your two suggestions would certainly be fun (though I suspect we'd have significant trouble finding manufacturers willing to donate speakers for the sole purpose of showing them failing, and spectacularly at that), I'm failing to see any significant educational value. But I'll make you this offer: If you want to organize and run such a session/demo, I'll do my best to schedule it in and find an appropriate room if the regular room assigned to the Live Sound sessions doesn't lend itself to the activities. Contact me offline if you'd like to pursue this.

And before anybody points to the ''History of'' sessions, those are presented in conjunction with the Historical Committee.

I agree that you are unlikely to get companies willing to contribute sacrificial drivers to such a cause, for the obvious negative message that sends, while amp makers would probably fall over themselves for the opportunity.

I think it could be instructive to demonstrate how clipping and heavy compression impact the heat value of the audio. Perhaps for the visual, boil some water with a heating element connected to one channel of the amp, while listening to the other (at reduced volume- perhaps several speakers in series to drop level and cover the room better).

Size the container of water so loud music below clipping doesn't boil the water, but clipped music does. I'm not sure how to turn that one concept into a whole session, unless you sit around for 20 minutes waiting for the water to boil.

At the end of the session you can serve hot tea.

JR

I know the AES likes panels but...

What about something more interactive for a change. Here are two.

1: What Not to Do with Loudspeakers. Here is a chance for us to see what really happens when loudspeakers get abused. We could easily get people/manufacturers to donate some loudspeakers and watch what happens when they (the loudspeakers) blow up. Get a voice coil hot enough to light a gig. See how far a cone gets launched. How much power is too much, etc.

2. Man vs Machine (or software): Have a guy(s) with great ears race a software operator to ring out a room over a set time period and compare the results.

It's not that AES (or us chairs) like panels; it's that we attempt to present topics in any form, be it single presenter, panel or one-on-one interview, that are tutorial and instructive in nature. In other words, topics that show you how to provide an improved sound reinforcement system/experience for your client, the audience and yourself.

Although your two suggestions would certainly be fun (though I suspect we'd have significant trouble finding manufacturers willing to donate speakers for the sole purpose of showing them failing, and spectacularly at that), I'm failing to see any significant educational value. But I'll make you this offer: If you want to organize and run such a session/demo, I'll do my best to schedule it in and find an appropriate room if the regular room assigned to the Live Sound sessions doesn't lend itself to the activities. Contact me offline if you'd like to pursue this.

And before anybody points to the ''History of'' sessions, those are presented in conjunction with the Historical Committee.

I agree that you are unlikely to get companies willing to contribute sacrificial drivers to such a cause, for the obvious negative message that sends, while amp makers would probably fall over themselves for the opportunity.

I think it could be instructive to demonstrate how clipping and heavy compression impact the heat value of the audio. Perhaps for the visual, boil some water with a heating element connected to one channel of the amp, while listening to the other (at reduced volume- perhaps several speakers in series to drop level and cover the room better).

Size the container of water so loud music below clipping doesn't boil the water, but clipped music does. I'm not sure how to turn that one concept into a whole session, unless you sit around for 20 minutes waiting for the water to boil.

At the end of the session you can serve hot tea.

JR

An easier demonstration might use some large 8r or 4r resistors mounted to a heat sink with a temperature probe attached and show the amount of heat given off by the resistor. You could also use several types of music and show how much heat is generated in different pass-bands (ie electronic, r&b, rock, metal, jazz, bluegrass)

Then again I won't be going as i'm estimating at least $1200 to go(flight hotel food event passes) with no frills or additional expenses. One thing i found funny was that parking for a car for the event plus gas to get there is more than the cost of a flight through southwest...

Measuring the temperature of a resistor, is not much better than just measuring the waveform voltage.. You want something more visual. I was going for the boiling water because there is a threshold event in there.

How about light bulbs? You actually pop a bunch of them, and not offend any speaker companies. Someone would need to experiment but the visual demonstration of higher average power, should track with brightness.

You could also demonstrate the effectiveness of limiting with it's ability to save light bulbs... or not.. That could burn up 15 minutes easy. .

JR

PS: You might even be able to demonstrate some simple series parallel, bridged speaker relationships with the light bulbs and their brightness... People are often confused, but the light bulbs could illuminate the power relationships. 8)~:cool:~:cool:

I like the lightbulb idea. You could also use a length of nichrome sized to that it glows at a certain point.

Also with lightbulbs you could show what happens when you use drivers with different impedances. Putting them in series and paralel arrays so people can see which drivers are dissipating the most energy.