2 mixers into one amp

BJ James

Junior
Jan 11, 2011
I have 2 installs coming up where the customers want to be able to employ a small utility mixer for activities that don't require their large mixer. I'm wondering about a pair of the Whirlwind Line Combiners. Any drawbacks to using something like this or is there something more appropriate?
Thanks,
BJ

Re: 2 mixers into one amp

In the past I used a 4 input DSP to sum 2 stereo signals into the system. Be aware the line combiner is going to attenuate 3.8 dB according to the spec sheet. But it's a passable solution in your case.

A cheaper way is to feed the output from the large mixer into a line input on the small mixer. For small shows turn on just the small one, for big gigs turn on both.

Passive combiners may introduce distortion if both units are not powered up.

The APB mixer-mixer is a comprehensive active combiner solution, and much more professional.

JR

I've often done something like what Matthew suggested with a matrix DSP. You can either have both mixers always live and mixed together in the DSP or you can create two presets, one for each mixer being active, with a switch to trigger them.

One of the considerations may be whether you have dedicated inputs for each mixer or if some inputs are split, if the inputs are independent than you may want both mixers active simultaneously while if some inputs are split then you may want to avoid mixing or combining the mixer outputs.

I've also used an A&H iLive mixer with one of the PL remotes on a wall or mounted in a rack. For major events you connect and use the worksurface while for simple events you can just use the wall mount remote. You can even program the remote for specific events if you want to do so. The only downside I found is that unless you program it to not control anything then the remote control is live at all times. You turn down someone on stage from the worksurface and they turn themselves back up at the remote. However, I wish some other console manufacturers would offer something similar.