250' of 4/4 power cable, how to split it?

Re: 250' of 4/4 power cable, how to split it?

I recently picked up a 250' spool of 4 conductor/4 gauge power cable and I'm looking for ways to section it off. I was thinking about 5 sections of 50' or 4 sections in lengths of 25', 50', 75', and 100’.

I'm also concerned about weight as well as it took 2 people to lift the spool into the truck.

All of my CS cords are 100' and 25'. Same goes for the #2 cam feeder at my other job. When the power is "right there" 25' is great. When it is farther I go to 100'.

I wouldn't make 4@50', unless you will need 4 separate runs, those CS connectors aren't cheap. Maybe you should make 1@50' for now, and see how it works out. In a couple months you can either make more 100'ers or more 50'ers, or whatever you decide you need.

Re: 250' of 4/4 power cable, how to split it?

Around here nobody is going to suggest cutting corners, this is the internet, and it would be irresponsible to suggest anything but the most safe practices. Don't tell anyone, but the Motion Labs website only lists CS cables in 2 sizes: 8/4 and 6/4, rated for 35A and 45A respectively. The funny thing is, they don't list distros with 35A or 45A breakers on the CS connectors (only 50A breakers).