ADAT/Optical Expander

Matt Lillie

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
NH
I got a Presonus 1818VSL thinking I could use it as an expander. Apparently this device only functions when attached to a laptop. Anyone know of a device that takes optical ins and outs and converts them to analog?

Re: ADAT/Optical Expander

On the budget end Behringer ADA8200, at the higher end RME. I believe MOTU, Presonus, Focusrite and SM Pro also do hat you are looking for at differing qualities.

Which ones have you used and like? Would you recommend any? Things you like about one vs. the other?

On the budget end Behringer ADA8200, at the higher end RME. I believe MOTU, Presonus, Focusrite and SM Pro also do hat you are looking for at differing qualities.

Which ones have you used and like? Would you recommend any? Things you like about one vs. the other?

haven't actually used any of them there should be plenty of expert reviews on the sound on sound website just look in the reviews section. From what iv'e heard the Behringer units are good for the price but are still defiantly nearer the lower end,

Matt, I've got a Presonus Digimax FS that I'm looking to sell. It's never moved from my home recording studio connected to an RME card. Internal/external sync, 96 kHz operation, inserts on the inputs. PM me if you're interested.

The Behringer ADA is actually somewhat of a standard addition to many consoles which supported ADAT expansion; namely Yamaha consoles from a few years ago. It doesn't sound spectacular, but it works on the budget and isn't unreliable.

We have been using two ADA8000's for the past 5 years to expand our 01V96 with out any issues. The pre's aren't the highest quality. For our live work they are fine. We just ordered a new and improved ADA8200 but its on backorder so I can't comment on it yet. So I guess it depends what you plan to use them for. I saw a Blacklion moded ADA8200 on ebay for $800 but I have no experience with them.