AKG 535 problems

Jack Arnott

Senior
Jan 29, 2011
The problem is a popping when driven hard. It sounds like a 48v plugging/unplugging pop, but is not.
I have had one mic exhibit this problem, and had eschewed it for any heavy duty use.
Now the second has had this problem. Question is, does this happen with all 535's? Or is it a diaphragm problem that happens over time?
Or?

Any insight will be helpful.

Regards, Jack

Re: AKG 535 problems

The problem is a popping when driven hard. It sounds like a 48v plugging/unplugging pop, but is not.
I have had one mic exhibit this problem, and had eschewed it for any heavy duty use.
Now the second has had this problem. Question is, does this happen with all 535's? Or is it a diaphragm problem that happens over time?
Or?

Any insight will be helpful.

Regards, Jack

I have heard a RUMOR (so take this for what it is) that some components in the AKG C353 can "go dry" (like old caps) and they lose the ability to keep the element "charged" when current consumption is high.

FWIW, otherwise, mine have been solid performers - a client even dropping his IN A GLASS OF WATER at a show. Kept on using it for the rest of the segment, no issues 8)~:cool:~:cool: