Allen Heath Qu firmware update

I just put an Allen Heath Qu Pac in an install and I can not get the firmware to update so the Ipad
app will work, for what their using it for now the front panel control will get them by.

I've tried all kinds of USB sticks, some from the Allen Heath tested list.

First I had them formatted in my PC as FAT32 and then copied the extracted firmware file to the drive.
A couple of them were recognized by the mixer and showed the firmware update file but would not let
me proceed with running the update.
I then tried to re format the drives with the mixer, only one drive would format the rest just got hung up
in the format process and never completed or really even started formatting, the drive that did format
was a cheap no name brand!!!
After taking the only drive that did format to my PC to copy the firmware update file on to it I got a warning
message that there was not enough space on the drive to copy the file to.
Checking the drive properties sure enough showed the drive as full.

Anyone had a similar issue while trying to do a Qu firmware update or am I just missing something that's
right in front of me and I can't see it.

All the while I'm still thinking of getting one for myself!

Re: Allen Heath Qu firmware update

I just put an Allen Heath Qu Pac in an install and I can not get the firmware to update so the Ipad
app will work, for what their using it for now the front panel control will get them by.

I've tried all kinds of USB sticks, some from the Allen Heath tested list.

First I had them formatted in my PC as FAT32 and then copied the extracted firmware file to the drive.
A couple of them were recognized by the mixer and showed the firmware update file but would not let
me proceed with running the update.
I then tried to re format the drives with the mixer, only one drive would format the rest just got hung up
in the format process and never completed or really even started formatting, the drive that did format
was a cheap no name brand!!!
After taking the only drive that did format to my PC to copy the firmware update file on to it I got a warning
message that there was not enough space on the drive to copy the file to.
Checking the drive properties sure enough showed the drive as full.

Anyone had a similar issue while trying to do a Qu firmware update or am I just missing something that's
right in front of me and I can't see it.

All the while I'm still thinking of getting one for myself!

If you just formatted the drive it should be empty except for the disc allocation table, MBR, and partition table. IOW if you have a nominally 8 GB stick, you should have at least 7GB of open space on it.

One of the things I leaned installing Waves on Avid VENUE desks is that one must decompress the files directly to the USB drive, for some reason unzipping them on the computer and copying them to the USB drive resulted in a failed/hung install. You might try that.

Formatting should be done with the mixer. They say this in the manual.

John

Tried formatting with mixer, the only drive that formatted with the mixer was a 1gb generic no name drive. The PC then read that drive as completely full and would not allow copying the firmware file to it. That drive would format fine as would all the others using the PC.
I'm going to try Tim's idea of extracting the file directly on to the drive, I'll even try downloading the zip file directly to the drive and extracting with in the drive itself.

I use Lexar 8 gig drives with my QU. Format it on the console first.. There may be an issue with it already being Fat 32 from a PC. Formatting it on the console puts a QU program in the drive. Always keep and use this drive for updating only.

Also: Turn off automatic updating on the I Pad.. And /or keep an eye out for updates to the QU..

Re: Allen Heath Qu firmware update - completed

The Kingston Data Traveller USB drive did the trick. Formatted it in the mixer, copied the firmware file to it in the PC plugged it back into the mixer, simple as that.....like it should be.
Needless to say the Qu is a little picky about what drives you feed it!

Thanks for your replies.
Mike C.

Re: Allen Heath Qu firmware update - completed

The Kingston Data Traveller USB drive did the trick. Formatted it in the mixer, copied the firmware file to it in the PC plugged it back into the mixer, simple as that.....like it should be.
Needless to say the Qu is a little picky about what drives you feed it!

Thanks for your replies.
Mike C.

It's not just the QU. The Yamaha M7/LS9 were more picky about the stick for firmware updates than for scene/show saving.

The Avid desks have been happy with almost any USB stick (even for Waves, after the 'unzip directly to the drive' was figured out).