Alternative to JBL Control 25 and 28?

Lee Brenkman

Junior
Jan 13, 2011
Oakland California USA
Hello all, I'm on of those "live performance" sound guys moonlighting as a volunteer consultant for a museum exhibit that will include some big flat screens and audio playback in three different rooms.

The original design spec called for the purchase of two pair, JBL Control 25 and one pair Control 28.

Surprise! they're over budget and have asked me to suggest lest costly alternatives.

Any suggestions from my learned colleagues in here?

Thanks,
Lee

Re: Alternative to JBL Control 25 and 28?

I realize the budget must not be much - but these speakers are already so cheap, I don't think there is anything cheaper. Perhaps finding a better/cheaper JBL source would make sense, or revise the spec to require less speakers? If there is a cheaper speaker, what's it going to save? Fifty bucks? Over the life of the system, any savings are going to be inconsequential for a likely inferior product (if one exists).

Community I/O8 or I/O5 may work - they are OK, and are cheaper. You will probably spend the savings on an EQ to make them sound good...

Silas,

Everything you say is true but on behalf of the very nice people who are trying to put this exhibit together I said I'd ask.

With all the experience around here I thought if anything good was out there someone would know about it.

I'm currently looking for used, but not abused, JBLs the have maybe come out of the"foreground" system from a restaurant that failed early in it's life and the new occupant wants the speakers off the walls.

-lee

Silas,

Everything you say is true but on behalf of the very nice people who are trying to put this exhibit together I said I'd ask.

With all the experience around here I thought if anything good was out there someone would know about it.

I'm currently looking for used, but not abused, JBLs the have maybe come out of the"foreground" system from a restaurant that failed early in it's life and the new occupant wants the speakers off the walls.

-lee

I am always careful with these situations because the compromises required to meet budget usually end up reflecting poorly on me, rather than the equipment. Hence, I don't normally 'go there'.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Just remember that any used equipment or any equipment for which you are not an authorized reseller may offer your Client no warranty and to protect them and yourself you probably should make that clear to them and get them to accept that in writing. Too many experiences seeing people trying to help someone instead end up with either an angry Client or money out of their pocket as their thanks.

Also consider that the JBL Control 25 and 28 come with the InvisiBall wall mounts, if you have to purchase separate wall mounts or get replacements for used speakers with missing or damaged mounts then that will add to the overall cost.

Hello all, I'm on of those "live performance" sound guys moonlighting as a volunteer consultant for a museum exhibit that will include some big flat screens and audio playback in three different rooms.

The original design spec called for the purchase of two pair, JBL Control 25 and one pair Control 28.

Surprise! they're over budget and have asked me to suggest lest costly alternatives.

Any suggestions from my learned colleagues in here?

Thanks,
Lee

How about just letting them use the built-in speakers in the TV's to start and let them replenish funding for the JBL's or equivalent at a future date. That way they can really appreciate the quality upgrade. (I am assuming museum-kiosk style audio needs)
Other than that there's always the 70v speakers they sell at outdoorspeakerdepot.com -been a standard fall-back for us when budgets get slashed -and they don't sound all that bad if you don't need too much SPL!