Amp recommendation for Turbo TMS 3 and custom subs - on a budget

Tom Moro

Jul 13, 2021
Italy
Hi everyone, I'm looking for advice regarding turbo TMS 3's. I found a good enough deal on a pair of these cabs with original drivers - specs below - but i'm kind of lost in the midst of the power amp realm. This would be my first PA system therefore I would like to pair it with a realiable and clean sounding amp set.

As mentioned this is my first project and am therfore inexperienced so please do not hate too much and be patient (;

Regarding the subs I'll most probably end up building the cabs myself - possibly on TSE 118 design or maybe on Funktion one F118, but any advice on these as well would be much appreciated. On this matter, I am trying to find some good drivers in the 700-1000w range - I hear italian maker Lavoce produces some noteworthy drivers, though on the pricey side.

2 x TSM 3
2x15" 1000 watts @ 4ohms.
2x10" 400 watts @ 8ohms.
1x2" are 150 watts @16ohms.

Full spec sheet here: http://www.kirsch-akustik.de/downloads/tms3.pdf

Budget to drive 2x TMS 3 + 4x18' subs OR 4x21' subs <=1500/1600 euros, though if anything above this price point comes to mind I'll be happy to evaluate.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Gunter Tack
Tom,

The TSE 118 starts dropping off at 70Hz, -24dB at 40 Hz, less LF than the TMS-3.
The F118 drops off below 55 Hz, no better than the LF below the TMS-3, which drops off at 50Hz.
Front loaded (FLH) and Tapped horns (TH) designs with low corners in the 25-35 Hz range would be much more appropriate, unless you are primarily going to be playing music from the pre-digital era the TMS-3 was designed in (pre-1980). 700-1000w bass drivers also are kind of last century also, drivers with around double the power handling and excursion (there is no replacement for displacement..) are available, B&C has a good range of the best that work well in a variety of designs.
Do you have a maximum size restriction and a desired frequency range for the subs you plan to build?
Do you have DSP, or plan to use amps with DSP built in?
Planning on stereo or mono?
Art

Hello Art, thanks for the reply.

The cabs I indicated where just for design purposes, which I am not sure to what extent impact sound performace.
To put it "simply" I am looking for frequencies at least down to 30 hz, even 25 if I can fit good enough drivers in the budget.
Size-wise I think I would prefer to stay within 18 inch drivers, but possibly sturdy single 21 inch cabs could do the job.
Regarding the DSP I think I am going to have to learn how to set up a proper external one - recommendations on these are appreciated as well!
The final result I am aiming toward is amazing open-air sound reproduction rather than sheer power since I have no plans on making this system for huge venues.
And to answer the last question: most definitely stereo sound.

Sincere thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Stereo four-way will require a minimum of 8 channels of amplification, with a budget of 1500/1600 euros if you want decent amplification and new (lightweight Class D with 3 year warranty) Behringer could fit the budget, depending on the sensitivity of the subwoofers you choose to build.

Each TMS-3 can put out in the 130 dB+ range to 55Hz, providing that level to 25 requires a lot of cabinet space, and power.

The size of drivers in a sub is of little concern, the size/volume of the cabinets, and displacement potential of the drivers are.
Hoffman's Iron Law rules: Loud, Low, Small- pick two, or pay an extreme price premium. Budget determines how low and loud the system can be, and you will pay a LOT more (in size or cost) for each 1/3 octave LF extension.

The 10" mids in the TMS-3 go up to 3700 Hz, so the entire cabinet should be raised above head level to cover any venue without tearing the heads off those near, so you will want a tall stack of subs unless you plan to use road cases or scaffold to stack on.

What are you planning to spend on sub drivers and construction materials?

Art

Hi everyone, I'm looking for advice regarding turbo TMS 3's. I found a good enough deal on a pair of these cabs with original drivers - specs below - but i'm kind of lost in the midst of the power amp realm. This would be my first PA system therefore I would like to pair it with a realiable and clean sounding amp set.

As mentioned this is my first project and am therfore inexperienced so please do not hate too much and be patient (;

Regarding the subs I'll most probably end up building the cabs myself - possibly on TSE 118 design or maybe on Funktion one F118, but any advice on these as well would be much appreciated. On this matter, I am trying to find some good drivers in the 700-1000w range - I hear italian maker Lavoce produces some noteworthy drivers, though on the pricey side.

2 x TSM 3
2x15" 1000 watts @ 4ohms.
2x10" 400 watts @ 8ohms.
1x2" are 150 watts @16ohms.

Full spec sheet here: http://www.kirsch-akustik.de/downloads/tms3.pdf

Budget to drive 2x TMS 3 + 4x18' subs OR 4x21' subs <=1500/1600 euros, though if anything above this price point comes to mind I'll be happy to evaluate.

Thanks in advance!
in the "good old days", we hade TSE218s underneath TSM-3s (1:1), on seperate amps of course...