Any experience with right angle 20A IEC connectors?

Sep 12, 2012
SW Ontario
Looking into the idea of using a right angle connector for my iTech 6K, doing so would allow me to mount the amp in an existing rack rather than sourcing a new, deeper one.

I found this on Digikey:
http://www.schurterinc.com/var/schu.../files/document/datasheet/en/pdf/typ_4790.pdf

Does anyone have experience? Does it allow you to use the cable clip still? Any reliability problems (coming unplugged, any general failures of the plug)?

Thanks

Re: Any experience with right angle 20A IEC connectors?

You definitely couldn't use the cord retaining clip, and without that, you'd have to find a creative way to zip tie the cable in.

The cord would point down using that connector, meaning you couldn't put the amp on the bottom of the rack, it would have to go up a few spaces.

Otherwise, I guess it would work OK.

You definitely couldn't use the cord retaining clip, and without that, you'd have to find a creative way to zip tie the cable in.

The cord would point down using that connector, meaning you couldn't put the amp on the bottom of the rack, it would have to go up a few spaces.

Otherwise, I guess it would work OK.

Good points Silas. You use iTechs right? What do you find is the minimum rail to rail depth?

The rack I have is just short of 20" from front to back, seems like closer to 24" is necessary to use a regular IEC.

Good points Silas. You use iTechs right? What do you find is the minimum rail to rail depth?

The rack I have is just short of 20" from front to back, seems like closer to 24" is necessary to use a regular IEC.

I don't run Itechs anymore, all active now.

Don't forget that it's not a problem if the cord sticks out a little past the back of the rack, the cover has depth too. A 20" rack should be more than plenty.

They also make "left angle" connectors - here's a prewired one that you might be able to use for that bottom amp if you cut off the other end?
http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=4635
The "regular" IEC connectors (13A?) are available in all four angles, I use whatever orientation allows a straight down from my active mains. Here's where I found the less common angles. They have all four, right, left, up and down:
Power Cords - IEC 60320 & NEMA Cables