Any news on the new Crest lightweight amps?

Robert Healey

Freshman
Jan 20, 2011
Lawrence, KS
I haven't heard anything about the new lightweight amps from Crest for a while - I think they're called ProLite now.

Anyone have news / a timeline? I was looking forward to these guys to replace my RMXs - I'm sick of a 150 lb. rack!

I heard that peavy was having problems getting enough of their propriatary chips for the amplifier and had to get that sorted out before they could release the other versions. I also heard that demand for the 1600 exceded expectations so they depleted their supply building enough of those to cover demand. (Insert just in time production discussion)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

Re: Any news on the new Crest lightweight amps?

I wish my main amp rack was *only* 150 pounds!

Exactly. Any half-decent roadcase is going to be around 100 lbs. The difference between something lightweight and something super-lightweight is almost insignificant. There are some decent and affordable options to lighten the load compared the the RMX's, but holding out for featherweight vapor-ware might not be in your best interest. I haven't weighed any of my racks, but I'm pretty sure they are getting towards 150lbs without any amps in them (by the time you add a rac-pac, hardware, and some copper).

If you're putting a couple in some SKB/Gator cases, I guess it's a different story, but I've just switched to powered speakers for those applications as it is.

Were you hoping to use the DSP? If yes the original XTI series can be had on blowout I'm pretty sure, and if not the QSC GX7 is cheap and light, but definitely in the budget realm. PLX or PLX2 are also pretty hard to beat on the budget but still 'pro' end of things.

Good luck!

Marlow

Sorry, I should have explained my intention better - I'd like to build a super-lightweight amp rack that I can lift by myself into a minivan without a ramp and up/down stairs. The goal of this rig is small weight and size with medium output and high quality.

Currently, I have an RMX850 and RMX2450 with plans to add a EV DX46 and big sub amp. This rack would be pretty much impossible to use without help. I made up the 150lb number, but I just calculated and this rack would probably come out to 225ish lbs in an EWI case. If I went with IPRs in an SKB case, the same rack would weigh about 46lbs. I think the Crests will be a bit heavier, so we could say 55lbs. That's lighter than my speakers (EV Xi-1122s)!

I also have a XTi4k and XTi2k in an 30-lb EWI rack - this totals out at 70lb and while I can lift this by myself, it's a pain in the ass and I managed to hurt my shoulder once when I was in a hurry. I'm not sure I could add a heavier rack, another amp, and the DSP without going over the limit of what I can reasonably lift myself.

If I had the funds I'd go with 3 Crest Pro200s and hire an extra hand...

EDIT: I also want to dump the XTis as soon as I can- The DSP is sparse on features, the limiter is poop, I've had bad luck with the ribbon connectors giving me problems after I move the amp, and Mike Diak's post in this thread is a bit scary: http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/58659/0/0/0/.

Last edited:

Good lord. The RMX 850 has to be in the running for worst power-to-weight ratio in the business! It's pretty damn close to the old CS-800 in that regard!

If you want plenty of juice in a package that you can throw under one arm and walk 6 blocks with you're gonna pay for it. Although Itechs still can be had on the used market for a good price. 2 IT's in a SKB case would be a potent combo. Plus you can't beat the processing in those amps.

On the other hand you could put 2 Powersoft Digam Q4004's in a rack with your processor. That would give you 8 amp channels with 1000 watts@4 ohm. 8000 watts on tap and both amps together would weigh less than your 2450. Put your processor in the rack and you have a 3 rackspace powerhouse.

Sorry, I should have explained my intention better - I'd like to build a super-lightweight amp rack that I can lift by myself into a minivan without a ramp and up/down stairs. The goal of this rig is small weight and size with medium output and high quality.

Currently, I have an RMX850 and RMX2450 with plans to add a EV DX46 and big sub amp. This rack would be pretty much impossible to use without help. I made up the 150lb number, but I just calculated and this rack would probably come out to 225ish lbs in an EWI case. If I went with IPRs in an SKB case, the same rack would weigh about 46lbs. I think the Crests will be a bit heavier, so we could say 55lbs. That's lighter than my speakers (EV Xi-1122s)!

I also have a XTi4k and XTi2k in an 30-lb EWI rack - this totals out at 70lb and while I can lift this by myself, it's a pain in the ass and I managed to hurt my shoulder once when I was in a hurry. I'm not sure I could add a heavier rack, another amp, and the DSP without going over the limit of what I can reasonably lift myself.

If I had the funds I'd go with 3 Crest Pro200s and hire an extra hand...

EDIT: I also want to dump the XTis as soon as I can- The DSP is sparse on features, the limiter is poop, I've had bad luck with the ribbon connectors giving me problems after I move the amp, and Mike Diak's post in this thread is a bit scary: http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/58659/0/0/0/.

I understand what you're saying. The lightweight amp rack has universal appeal for us small-time operators. A PL380 just sold in the marketplace for $1000. Something along those lines plus a new GX7 for your tops would be under 40lbs in amps but still offer acceptable performance for most applications. Add good DSP and you're set... Or just wait a bit - something from Crest will come eventually.

Just my thoughts.

PS. Tim, all the options you list are a good bit more money than the new Crest/Peavey offerings. I can understand the frustration of seeing a new product that would be light AND cheap, if only it was actually available.

I googled Crest Prolite and got several write-ups from the past few months, the most recent being this one: http://svconline.com/avcontrol/products/crest_audio_pro-lite_2-0/

I like the look better than the early prototype, and it's right in line with the Peavey pricing. There's actually a bridging spec on this one. Hopefully there are also binding posts and/or 4 pin connections to the NL4 outputs.

Grant

Proprietary chip? That's a big red flag for me. It's often hard enough getting replacement mass-produced chips after a few years. They'd better order 10,000 spares at end-of-life, and test them all before putting them in the parts bin.

Proprietary chip? That's a big red flag for me. It's often hard enough getting replacement mass-produced chips after a few years. They'd better order 10,000 spares at end-of-life, and test them all before putting them in the parts bin.

if anyone would stock proprietary chips it would be peavey