Anyone using the DPA D-Fine headworn mics?

Steve Payne

Junior
Jan 16, 2011
Richmond, VA
soundworksva.com
I am thinking of picking up a few of these and have a couple of questions for any current users.
1. Omni or Cardoid? My inclination would be to go with the cardoid for the better gain before feedback which would be a big plus in many of my applications. I am wondering if the mic placement if ultra critical and if the capsule tends to stay in place once fitted.
2. Single or Dual ear mounting? Here, my gut says the dual ear will be more robust and will stay secure in more situations, but I see some riders that specifically ask for single ear mounting. I am mainly wondering (hoping) that the dual ear mounting system on the D-Fines is unobtrusive and comfortable enough that a performer that is used to single ear mounting might try it and find it ok for them.
Any thoughts anyone could share are appreciated.

Re: Anyone using the DPA D-Fine headworn mics?

I am thinking of picking up a few of these and have a couple of questions for any current users.
1. Omni or Cardoid? My inclination would be to go with the cardoid for the better gain before feedback which would be a big plus in many of my applications. I am wondering if the mic placement if ultra critical and if the capsule tends to stay in place once fitted.
2. Single or Dual ear mounting? Here, my gut says the dual ear will be more robust and will stay secure in more situations, but I see some riders that specifically ask for single ear mounting. I am mainly wondering (hoping) that the dual ear mounting system on the D-Fines is unobtrusive and comfortable enough that a performer that is used to single ear mounting might try it and find it ok for them.
Any thoughts anyone could share are appreciated.

got both of them. strongly prefer the omni. Unless you don't know how to deploy a pa or you're running loud monitors, you'll never have GBF issues with the omni. The cardioid is very finicky about placement and just doesn't soind as good IMHO.

I'm also a big proponent of dual ear designs. And the DPA is very light and very adjustable, so I think most people would be fine with it.

if you decide you want a cardioid for the inventory, I've got one ill sell you cheap....

got both of them. strongly prefer the omni. Unless you don't know how to deploy a pa or you're running loud monitors, you'll never have GBF issues with the omni. The cardioid is very finicky about placement and just doesn't soind as good IMHO.

I'm also a big proponent of dual ear designs. And the DPA is very light and very adjustable, so I think most people would be fine with it.

+1

Caleb

Currently using these on a conference. Always prefer omni and these sound great with loads of GBF so that is what I would recommend. If you end up with the mic not quite in the right place you can still get good level, with the cardiod this doesn't happen. I do echo what has been said about the ear mount. Much prefer the 4066 fittings as these are not as rigid which makes it harder to get an accurate and more consistent fit. In terms of 1 ear / 2 ear question you can get both for the D-Fine and that is what we have here. We have attached the 2 ear ones because I have generally found presenters in the corporate sector to be happier with two ears as they tend to move around less. The feedback from the presenters we have is that they are very comfortable to wear.

if you decide you want a cardioid for the inventory, I've got one ill sell you cheap....

What type of source are you micing with these? Corporate is WAY WAY WAY different than broadway in regards to GBF.

As for the mic, it sounds great, heard it for 2 days this week. GBF was OK. Omni or Cardioid I do not know. I assumed Omni.

I have lots of experience with the older DPA and the Countryman. The Cardioids need to be right at the corner of the lips. If they are not aimed properly and not the proper distance, they suck. The omni's are forgiving. I do not use these in wedges or foldback so take that into consideration. I would use the cardioids where I had a group of loud singers standing close to each other, or a loud singer on one and a quiet singer on another. Use it more for rejection of surrounding audio.
The person wearing the mic prefers the omni. It's smaller and less finicky to position.

Our inventory is maybe 2 or 3 of the old (both omni and card) and maybe 4 or 5 of the new (omni).

The cardoids are great if you have full control of your talent and good micing practices - they (as are all cardoid headmics) are particularly sensitive to placement.

The omni's are naturally far more forgiving, and I like their inherent sound a bit better.

GBF has been good.

We are using them with the dual ear mounts, although once in a blue moon we will use the single.

Most of my talent likes the new style better than the old. In practice they seem to stay in place just fine.

We were happy because we like them better, but they are noticeably cheaper for us than the old mics.

I guess it's mostly just being able to use replacement cables and not having to stock multiple 200$ head bands.

We give them an A and they will replace all but our cheapo headmics that are used when we need them to be disposable.

Karl P