Applied L-16 Lift Transport? Case or Cart?

Jeff Pitt

Freshman
May 11, 2011
Nashville
Looking for some options to transport our Applied L16 lifts. We currently have a case for one pair, and have another pair coming. We like to keep them clean and looking good. The tour requires (4) L-16s and we've considered an open frame cart. Any cart or slick case suggestions? Any pics of existing designs? Thanks guys.

Re: Applied L-16 Lift Transport? Case or Cart?

Looking for some options to transport our Applied L16 lifts. We currently have a case for one pair, and have have another pair coming. The tour requires 4 L-16s and we've considered an open frame cart. Any cart or slick case suggestions? Any pics of existing designs? Thanks guys.

If you are running a truck with enough space then I like to lay them down in a case so the second pair stacks.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Thanks Silas. The current case we have accepts 2 of them side by side in a hinged lid setup. Then the case stands on end to only take up a 24" x 24" footprint.

Looking for some options to transport our Applied L16 lifts. We currently have a case for one pair, and have another pair coming. We like to keep them clean and looking good. The tour requires (4) L-16s and we've considered an open frame cart. Any cart or slick case suggestions? Any pics of existing designs? Thanks guys.

Cart. Absolutely, by all means, build a couple carts for these things. I know you already have a case, but think about the truck pack and load process - you have to pick them up and lay them down in a case, only to tip said (now ~250#, 7' tall) case back up in the truck? That doesn't make much sense. Not to mention the additional weight (and dead storage) of a case that fits a pair of 6.5' tall lifts.

The guy that auctioned off his inventory a couple months ago had a basic cart design that could be improved a bit. If you build a welded frame out of 1/2" tube steel with a solid base plate, it could easily be padded where the lifts sit against the cart frame with thin strips of rubber to protect the lift. Ratchet the lifts together so they hold against the center part of the frame. Need to cover it in the truck? Some heavy duty boat or recycled tent canvas would work great. Have your local upholstery shop sew in a heavy duty zipper on one side as well.

Want to make it really slick and easy to load? Have one of the top bars on the frame attach with a loop on one side and a pin on the other (think old school carnival ride safety bar). You'd only have to pick the lift up a couple inches to set it in the cart.

Attachments

• 64105_8320537.JPG
    64105_8320537.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 64105_2384845.JPG
    64105_2384845.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 1

If you build a welded frame out of 1/2" tube steel with a solid base plate, it could easily be padded where the lifts sit against the cart frame with thin strips of rubber to protect the lift.

Here is a picture of what Brian was mentioning ( I think) , its what I've done for mine... The simple way I secure the lift in the cage is simply to crank the lift against a welded top bar, it also keeps everything tight during transport. Its kept the lift in my cages for as long as i've had mine 5+years... The only thing I've yet to figure out is how to keep the antlers with them. I plan to use the side of the cage and the pins and cups on the antlers somehow... Anyway this works for me. This isn't a picture of my design, I have some light steel plate on the base of mine instead of just a bar, it makes it easier to slide into the "c" shaped holder... Also, if you build it right, these will stack one inside the other if you wanted to lay them down and stack, but I stand mine up in the truck for the smaller footprint. At times I've actually used the cages themselves with 2" pipe between them to curtain off backstage areas...

Attachments

• L16_cage.jpg
    L16_cage.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Brian, I remembered seeing those, and couldn't recall where. Thanks for the picture.
Shane, that's a great idea. Any chance you have a pic of them in the cage for reference?

Found one...sorry for the quality, these are my actual lifts....I used the same steel that the frame is made of to make the "holder" and simply used pipe insulation pulled over the steel for scratch protection. If you see the two crossers in the middle, that's where I plan to drill some holes and use the pins on the antlers to pin the antler on to those pieces... The lift is simply cranked up with a bit of tension on the top bar, and the floor plate - that's all that holds it in.

Attachments

• L16_cage_02.jpg
    L16_cage_02.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 1

Shane, I was more indicating one that rode upright instead of laying down, but yours is a good solution as well. Does your cart frame stack/nest together easily (i.e. - stack 2 high in a truck)?

Shane, I was more indicating one that rode upright instead of laying down, but yours is a good solution as well. Does your cart frame stack/nest together easily (i.e. - stack 2 high in a truck)?
Actually I roll mine up the ramp into my 5 ton, get them where they need to be, then stand them up as pictured. Because the frame is open tube, there are plenty of hand holds, and it tips up easily. Also because of its height, it makes for an excellent holding device for the pack. Four of them across the truck with straps high and low, locks the load in...and it doesn't touch the stands themselves...But to answer your question, yes you can stack one cart on top of the other and they will ride. I drilled holes in the frames to bolt up to keep them together as one...when they need to ride like that, so the top one doesn't slide and take someone's fingers off...