are you happy with your pgxd?

Brian Frost

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago
www.narniaproductions.com
I own some pgx (actually been fine for the money). I own a lot of slx, also fine for the money. 2 channels of uhfr, fantastic but rarely do my clients want to spend the money for them.

Need more wireless and am considering some pgxd or wondering if I spend 4x as much and get some ulxd. Most of my clients want the cheaper option, but I might be able to gain new clients with more higher end wireless in inventory. Have you been happy with your pgxd or should I consider more slx or even stepping up to ulxd. Whats your opinion as a small provider obviously considering money in the equation.

Re: are you happy with your pgxd?

It depends on the requirements. I haven't used the PGXD yet, but can say for sure that I'd never want to use the SLX if I can avoid it. The sound quality is pretty horrid compared to a wired mic, and the headroom just isn't there for loud environments. Based on what I've heard from others, the PGXD has similar shortcomings with headroom. Now, if that's not been an issue with your SLX mics, then the PGXD would probably do just fine.

Any particular reason that GLXD isn't a contender?
for the same price as PGXD you get rechargeable batteries with a built-in charger in the receiver. The only tradeoff seems to be that the capsules are not interchangeable, but if your clients care what capsule you're using they would probably want a higher end wireless anyway..

Jason

H Brian,
I've been pretty happy with the PGX-D units - I use them fairly often and have installed quite a few. From a quality perspective, it's not bad at all, and the RF performance is adequate in most circumstances. Battery life is also pretty reasonable. Personally I think it sounds better than SLX - I've never liked the SLX stuff at all.

If it were me, I'd sell off your SLX units, and replace them with a mix of more PGX-D and maybe a couple ULX-D but you know your clients and market best, so ultimately our musings are a bit uninformed.

I hadnt considered the glxd because Im not terribly keen on 2.4ghz but that bias might be unfounded. I dont love the slx but with a sm86 head they generally get the job done and sound 'fine' especially considering the price. I may have to rent a ulxd and see if I think the sound is worth it. Thanks for your input on the pgxd. Right now Im leaning towards just adding a pgx in the same band as my others so I can cover the cheap rentals and eventually getting a ulxd 4 pack to try out in my rental market.

Brian,

I would like to hear your experience using the PGXD in san francisco. I do lots of high end installations in corporate environments in SF and have found that no wireless microphone costing under $2000 works AT ALL in San Francisco. All wireless solutions work fine when nobody is in the room. As soon as the room fills with 1000 people with iphones and the cisco ultra high powered WAPs start blasting the room with more power than KTVU, every low and mid-cost wireless mic that I have seen fails spectacularly. Antenna combiners, amplifiers, paddles, networked systems and everything other accessory just doesn't work in SF anymore like it did a few years ago.

So, do let me know if they actually work in a crowded room. I am very curious to know.

Maybe Im the odd lucky guy, but Im in a rather hostile rf environment in chicago (there is another Brian Frost in our industry in SF that does more EDM stuff, but Im not him). Ive had the most problems with ULX actually. I almost never have problems with my slx (other than sound which I gets a passable B grade for me). I usually just use a whip antenna but own a couple of paddles and a couple of the Kaltman helical antennas for tougher environments where I need some directional rejection and or gain. Beltpacks are the toughest once you put them on someone they absorb a lot of the packs rf. I ended up just getting 2 more pgx for the hand it off rentals (again, I seem to have few problems with them) and am saving up for a set of ULXD for this spring to see if my clients will be willing to spend the extra to use them.

Maybe Im the odd lucky guy, but Im in a rather hostile rf environment in chicago (there is another Brian Frost in our industry in SF that does more EDM stuff, but Im not him). Ive had the most problems with ULX actually. I almost never have problems with my slx (other than sound which I gets a passable B grade for me). I usually just use a whip antenna but own a couple of paddles and a couple of the Kaltman helical antennas for tougher environments where I need some directional rejection and or gain. Beltpacks are the toughest once you put them on someone they absorb a lot of the packs rf. I ended up just getting 2 more pgx for the hand it off rentals (again, I seem to have few problems with them) and am saving up for a set of ULXD for this spring to see if my clients will be willing to spend the extra to use them.

Sorry, wrong Brian.

I really like the ULX-Ds. The networking capabilities, ecryption (CEOs really like this) and the sound of them are great. The ULX-Ds sound better then UHFRs.

I don't know why Shure named the ULX-D "ULX" instead of something else - minus a few features, they are a pretty good replacement for the UHF-R. They are a lot more expensive than the ULX, as well.

Some rich(er) school round here got a brand new ULX-D system for their theatrical work. Granted, the kids know nothing and it was installed poorly, but it kicks butt in terms of the actual product. I stray away from PG series stuff; I'd go with the new GLX stuff or ULX-D.

I don't know why Shure named the ULX-D "ULX" instead of something else - minus a few features, they are a pretty good replacement for the UHF-R. They are a lot more expensive than the ULX, as well.

when they started designing them they were supposed to fall in the price range of the ULX systems, but as time went on they actually became more of a replacement for UHF-R, but somehow they never thought to change the name they started with