Attempting to pick up internal hard drive mechanical acoustics

Scott Larson

Apr 29, 2023
Santa Rosa, California
Hi I ordered a Primo EM258 Mic to attempt to pick up the acoustics of the internal mechanical noses of a computer hard drive. I want to pick up the sound of a drive's mechanic's failing to teach in a future computer repair apprenticeship program I am planning on creating.

I connected the mic to my PC and tapped the mic to the drive itself using scotch tape. I turned on the "Listen to this Device" setting in the mic settings just to test to see if I could hear the acoustics of the drive, but I am only able to pick up the ambient sounds outside the drive.

Have I chosen the wrong mic for the Job, or am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

The ambient sounds outside the drive are evidently louder than the drive, so that's what the mic and you hear.

A piezoelectric pickup would pick up the mechanical vibration noise of the hard drive case, while (mostly) not "hearing" the airborne sound waves.

Piezoelectric pickups output may be far less than the omni mic you are using, so may require a pre-amp to bring the gain up to a usable level.

Ok. Good idea on both points. Ill pick up a piezoelectric pickup and small preamp. Thank you. Any preamps you recommend for a direct computer audio setup like this?

Edit: I just realized I should probably do some research on piezoelectric microphones before I make any more purchases. Checking out this site on the subject

Last edited:
Be aware that what a mechanical pickup ‘hears’ may not sound like what you hear? If you want what you actually hear can’t you use an external drive, with the lid off, away from the computer fans? Surround it with cushions to isolate it a bit?

Ok. Good idea on both points. Ill pick up a piezoelectric pickup and small preamp. Thank you. Any preamps you recommend for a direct computer audio setup like this?
Most of my experience with piezo pickups has been with performers using Barcus Berry or Fishman preamps, can't give you much of a recommendation other than you may need around a 5-10megohm input and +60dB of gain.

Reviews say the "Fishman" sold by Wallmart etc. for around $20 are not made by the USA Fishman.