Automatic level controller for pubs, bars, clubs...

eytan gidron

Freshman
Jan 14, 2011
Tel Aviv - Israel
Hi all,

I am looking for a good quality “automatic level controller” for use in installations in dance bars and clubs (inserted between the DJ mixer and the system DSP). It should have a decent sound quality and the gain reduction should be smooth and unnoticeable (stepped level reductions are unacceptable). I have used the Apart “Audiolock”, but I don’t have access to it anymore.

http://www.apart-audio.com/uploaded_files/productFiles/AUDIOLOCK/Audiolock_Tech.pdf

Also it would be nice if it would have an option for adding an external warning LED, so the DJ can see when limiting is taking place.

I would appreciate recommendations for such units.

Thanks,

Eytan

Re: Automatic level controller for pubs, bars, clubs...

Eyton you can set up that kind of level control on Soundwebs which would also handle speaker DSP, or if you must have a seperate device then I've seen and installed this one Formula Sound - AVC2 now I know it says stepped level control but it doesn't jump up and down it fades between reduction levels and you really can't hear it amongst the mayhem of your average DJ output, it's quite amusing to see the DJ try and overcome a well set up one as all that happens is ultimately the overall level will drop below what he/she started at. They seem to be reliable and do have an external contact for triggering a warning light. G

I am looking for a good quality “automatic level controller” for use in installations in dance bars and clubs (inserted between the DJ mixer and the system DSP). It should have a decent sound quality and the gain reduction should be smooth and unnoticeable (stepped level reductions are unacceptable).

Take a look at "Dolby Volume". It's in a number of home theatre receivers (Harman, Marantz, Denon and others) and so the interconnects are RCA, but it perfectly matches your criteria above. Gefen also have a stand alone stereo leveler product based on "Dolby Volume"
Gefen, LLC - GefenTV Auto Volume Stabilizer

As already mentioned, there is a class of dynamic processors called AGC (automatic gain control) that target a constant output level (commonly used in cheap recording devices and the like). These will literally increase quiet stuff, and reduce stuff that is too loud. There have been some install products that worked along these lines to adjust the volume of factory announcement systems to be audible over factory floor ambient noise that could vary.

Since you mention putting this between a DJ and the rest of the system, suggests to me you are looking for a simple "Limiter". In some places there are legal max SPL limits, and limiters that literally listen for SPL in the room with a mic. For your needs a simple above threshold limiter would probably work, and you may already have access to one inside the DSP you are sending to.

JR