Automation

Casjan Berends

Freshman
Dec 4, 2014
Hardenberg (stad), Netherlands
Hey guys,

Shamelessly joining this board after not getting a lot of response on the other audio forum... hope it's okay to ask the same question over here :)

Starting January, I'll be touring dutch theatres again. This year, it looks like the show is forcing me to do some automation; lots of different music styles, different FX, etc. No problem off course, but I'm looking for some input from the more experienced.

I'll be using a Pro2, with Waves Multirack running FX and a few inserts. Pro2 and Multirack will be connected through midi. Will be using house PA, so this will change every day. Feeding the PA through my matrix (usually in Left-right-center-sub)

The basic things I think I understand. What would make sense tot me is to be running everything as recall safe, except for channel faders, mutes, and FX-sends. Perhaps even recall EQ on selected channels, but this probably won't be needed.

Monitors will be done from front of house as well, so I do need to remember to store te latest monitor settings in the showfile after the show.

What is it that you guys usually do in a case like this? Any tips and tricks? Potential pitfalls? Any input is much appreciated!

Re: Automation

Hey guys,

Shamelessly joining this board after not getting a lot of response on the other audio forum... hope it's okay to ask the same question over here :)

Starting January, I'll be touring dutch theatres again. This year, it looks like the show is forcing me to do some automation; lots of different music styles, different FX, etc. No problem off course, but I'm looking for some input from the more experienced.

I'll be using a Pro2, with Waves Multirack running FX and a few inserts. Pro2 and Multirack will be connected through midi. Will be using house PA, so this will change every day. Feeding the PA through my matrix (usually in Left-right-center-sub)

The basic things I think I understand. What would make sense tot me is to be running everything as recall safe, except for channel faders, mutes, and FX-sends. Perhaps even recall EQ on selected channels, but this probably won't be needed.

Monitors will be done from front of house as well, so I do need to remember to store te latest monitor settings in the showfile after the show.

What is it that you guys usually do in a case like this? Any tips and tricks? Potential pitfalls? Any input is much appreciated!

Greetings Casjan-

The theater folks tend to cross-pollinate the forums, it's okay.... but there aren't a lot of them. You might get more response if you join the "theatre sound" Google Group. They have an archive that is searchable (of course!) so I'd suggest searching for both general areas of interest and specific topics as well. You'll get a good feel for who the Really Smart Folks are, and there are lots of them. :)

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc