Avid SC48 and Shrek roar

Kevin Maxwell

Junior
Feb 6, 2011
Avid SC48 and Shrek roar.

I am doing Shrek the musical soon and the director said there is a roar that Shrek does that could be a sound effect playback or I could use an effect on the actor to enhance his roar.

The console I will be using is an Avid SC48, it has the plug-ins that come with version 3. I would like to see if I could set up a way to enhance the actors roar to make it really big. I was thinking of using a big reverb and maybe even pitch shifting it down a bit. Have any of you ever done this and do you know the settings and plug-ins (that are already in the console) I would need to use to make this work?

Re: Avid SC48 and Shrek roar

Route the voice to some subs on an aux send to make it rumble. I did this for the giant's voice in Sondheim's "Into the Woods" along with a big reverb. The best was using the big subs (located under the raked audience seating) for when Jack's bean stalk fell. Scared the crap out audience. So did the giant's foot steps.

Hey Kevin,

Pitch shift is your friend. Not too much, or it sounds weird. As others have said, putting it in the subs a bit is good too. The pitch shift can let you do this while also keeping your channel HPF. No need to blow everyone out of the theater, a little dab will do you and give the "feeling" without being overbearing.

Avid SC48 and Shrek roar.

I am doing Shrek the musical soon and the director said there is a roar that Shrek does that could be a sound effect playback or I could use an effect on the actor to enhance his roar.

The console I will be using is an Avid SC48, it has the plug-ins that come with version 3. I would like to see if I could set up a way to enhance the actors roar to make it really big. I was thinking of using a big reverb and maybe even pitch shifting it down a bit. Have any of you ever done this and do you know the settings and plug-ins (that are already in the console) I would need to use to make this work?

I would record it. Sometimes nothing sounds as good as consistency. Record your actor (and any understudies) and do your editing and manipulation in the comfort of a studio.