Avid Venue S6L

Re: Avid Venue S6L

The writing has been on the wall ever since they did the S6 studio controllers that this would be coming. Nice to finally see it is announced officially. The S6 system design is quite modular which will certainly be interesting.

[FONT=akzidenz-grotesk_proregular]Choose from three control surface configurations to meet your needs. Select the ideal E6L engine to support your channel count requirements. Ramp up your plug-in processing power by adding more HDX cards to your engine (up to a maximum of four). And go from a maximum 64 mic inputs with one Stage 64 rack up to hundreds of I/O channels by connecting additional boxes.[/FONT]

I think you might be quite pleasantly surprised then by the pricing. But you're right, is a far more capable system than a $200k+ console that's out now.

-Ryan John
Product Manager | Avid Live Sound

I don't see this, even in the lighter configurations being price competitive with the Profile. This looks like a $100,000-$200,000 system. Unless Avid has suddenly decided that they are not going after the high end market anymore (which is counter to the rest of their new business plan).

I'm excited. The S6 system ported to live is a killer combo, and if they've done it right, I think quite effective for larger shows. Will wait and see.

Oh, and did I mention that it looks kick ass?

Hi Ryan,

How is show compatibility handled for users coming from existing systems?
I have several show files for artists that are configured with the desk being double patched so that FOH channels are processed one way, while monitor channels may be processed completely different. These files contain TDM plugins from McDSP, Waves and SPL.

Are there plans for any type of upgrade path for existing users in the way that there have been on the Protools side?

Thank you,

Nicolas

Regarding show file compatibility.

VENUE files will open on the S6L without any added work.
Save the file on an S6L, and it will also open on a Profile...

meaning full forward and backwards compatibility.

Regarding the the upgrade path, unfortunately I don't have and answer for you yet, but I'm sure as you expected, this has been asked a lot.

Hi Ryan,

How is show compatibility handled for users coming from existing systems?
I have several show files for artists that are configured with the desk being double patched so that FOH channels are processed one way, while monitor channels may be processed completely different. These files contain TDM plugins from McDSP, Waves and SPL.

Are there plans for any type of upgrade path for existing users in the way that there have been on the Protools side?

Thank you,

Nicolas

Regarding show file compatibility.

VENUE files will open on the S6L without any added work.
Save the file on an S6L, and it will also open on a Profile...

meaning full forward and backwards compatibility.

Hi Ryan,
Sure, but his question also involved TDM plugins. Given the change to AAX, I would assume that this means that any plugins which were TDM in the showfile (or vice versa with AAX) will result in some sort of notification when the scene is loaded to remind the user that they'll need to MANUALLY reassign those plugins to something equivalent on the given TDM or AAX platform. Correct?

Any plugin that is on both platforms can load automatically, for a list of AAX DSP compatible plugins, check out a semi complete list here: http://www.avid.com/plugins

Hi Ryan,
Sure, but his question also involved TDM plugins. Given the change to AAX, I would assume that this means that any plugins which were TDM in the showfile (or vice versa with AAX) will result in some sort of notification when the scene is loaded to remind the user that they'll need to MANUALLY reassign those plugins to something equivalent on the given TDM or AAX platform. Correct?

Thanks for the reply Ryan.

I hope that there is a plan in place to migrate shows with waves plugins made on a profile to the new system wether it be on an external server or otherwise. Without a good solution, I can see some challenges for production companies and engineers.

One other thing that would be very helpful, regarding the different engine sizes is a way to edit what you lose when you load your file on the desk. I know that the first time I used an sc48 for a fly date, I had to do lot of editing either offline or on a profile before loading a show on to the sc48. For example if you had a plugin that was pretty important and it was on the lower part of the rack, you couldn't even see it on the sc48 in order to move it to the top page. You had to plan ahead and already have it moved before you wanted to load it.

Figuring that out now, as I'm sure you can imagine, allowing full backwards and forwards compatibility leads to MANY challenges.

Thanks for the reply Ryan.

I hope that there is a plan in place to migrate shows with waves plugins made on a profile to the new system wether it be on an external server or otherwise. Without a good solution, I can see some challenges for production companies and engineers.

One other thing that would be very helpful, regarding the different engine sizes is a way to edit what you lose when you load your file on the desk. I know that the first time I used an sc48 for a fly date, I had to do lot of editing either offline or on a profile before loading a show on to the sc48. For example if you had a plugin that was pretty important and it was on the lower part of the rack, you couldn't even see it on the sc48 in order to move it to the top page. You had to plan ahead and already have it moved before you wanted to load it.