Barn Dance gig.

Adam Whetham

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
So our Guitar player who does the bookings apparently thought it would be funny to book two shows with horrible load ins back to back on a wonderful weekend where it was -5ish most of the time.

I wish I had a decent video of the barn load in. We may be back sometime later and I'll go for a better video then. But this is strait up old time barn dance... Maybe Art even did a show or two here?

www.johnsonsbarn.com

Note I was told this load in was a big improvement over what they used 4 years ago when the band was there last (Before my time) when you just put your gear in the bucket of the tractor and they hoisted it up...

We pull up to the back and see a double wide door that swings open on the 2nd floor as thats where the dance floor/stage is and a walkway about 3 feet wide on the outside of the building. There is a tractor sitting there with this Farm made 10x10 platform with railing on the forklift back of the tractor... tractor/forklift combo kinda look like this but in MF Red/white combo with enclosed cab and dual wheels on the rear

4175823722.09.09%20063.jpg

When it was up to the 2nd floor level it was pretty damn wobbly and a little scary getting stuff on and off.

Then through the double doors, you lift everything 2 feet up onto the stage, and whatever you want out front down the front of the stage...

Power was romex wire stapled along the wall from the breaker box up to the stage. Of course with it being a barn it was the wonderfully unsafe 10-50 crows foot with no ground.

The night went great. its an all ages with BYOB so its always fun trading booze with other party goers. the county deputies leave at around 11:30-midnight so it gets crazy for the last hour and a half until they close at 1. other than one scuffle it was a pretty classy barn dance.

Anyone else get to do some fun gigs like this?

Re: Barn Dance gig.

Quote: said:
double wide door that swings open on the 2nd floor

walkway about 3 feet wide on the outside of the building

Farm made 10x10 platform

it was pretty damn wobbly and a little scary

Then through the double doors, you lift everything 2 feet up onto the stage

romex wire stapled along the wall

wonderfully unsafe

all ages with BYOB

Anyone else get to do some fun gigs like this?

I'm speechless

Welcome to North Dakota.
icon_lol.gif

As was stated on the other forums, its a state that is very interesting in growing up.

I'm uploading some pic's right now. But now that you bring to light a few things it does seem slightly odd.

the BYOB is pretty standard. thats why the county deputies are there. they check ID's of the people coming in with adult beverages.

The photos up on their site are priceless. Looks like a grand place to have a party!

Seeing those photos really makes me want to pack my bag and hit the road for a USA road-trip. Many years ago I drove from Vancouver to Detroit/Windsor and our only stops (aside from fuel) were the college bars in Missoula, some tiny town dive-bar in middle of nowhere ND, and a pig roast in Owatonna MN.

Brought back these sorts of memories ....

Lunch

Dinner