Barn doors on Par 56?

Matt Harris

Freshman
Feb 17, 2011
Anyone know how to mount barn doors on a par 56 can? I see things like this for sale but Im not clear as to how they go on to the can.

Re: Barn doors on Par 56?

You may run into a problem with barn doors and your average par can, as the gel slot is usually rather shallow compared to a fresnel or ERS.

Last edited:

Conventional barndoors always attach by way of the gel frame slot. You should be able to fit barndoors and a gel frame in the same slot but if you can't then you can always use a fibre-board gel frame instead of a metal one since they are much thinner. The one thing to keep in mind is that the safety cable built into some barndoors might not reach the yoke on a PAR can since it is longer than a same-aperture fresnel but you can always use a second safety if need be.

Conventional barndoors always attach by way of the gel frame slot. You should be able to fit barndoors and a gel frame in the same slot but if you can't then you can always use a fibre-board gel frame instead of a metal one since they are much thinner. The one thing to keep in mind is that the safety cable built into some barndoors might not reach the yoke on a PAR can since it is longer than a same-aperture fresnel but you can always use a second safety if need be.

The better barndoors have a slot for a gelframe, so you don't need to double-up on the instrument's accessory slot. Helps prolong the life of the gel, too.

I've noticed that the yoke on parcans often doesn't tighten firmly enough to stay in place with the additional weight of barndoors on the front.

Thomas produced Par 64 with a different yoke design which were intended to hold scrollers, however I doubt that these would be available in Par 56 size.

I've noticed that the yoke on parcans often doesn't tighten firmly enough to stay in place with the additional weight of barndoors on the front.

There are a couple of ways to combat this issue. You can purchase an additional set of the yoke knob hardware and add it to the other side of the fixture or you can get you focus right and then tie off the front of the light to the top of the yoke with wire to keep it in place. Both are common practices when it comes to stopping tilt slippage on fixtures with scrollers.