Battery Powered Headphone Amp with 1/4in Balanced in

Daniel Nickleski

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Chicago
www.soundworkspro.com
Does anyone know of a battery powered headphone amp with 1/4in BALANCED in that is rarely cheap? I can find them all over with a TRS that is either stereo or unbalanced, but can't seem to find a balanced one. We use them for monitoring press feeds and have used a shire model in the past, but are looking for something a bit cheaper (under $100) range.

Re: Battery Powered Headphone Amp with 1/4in Balanced in

What about the used market for some of the older Shure wired packs? Most of them have 2 XLR ins, but you could easily build/buy adaptors for the use.

You could also build your own very cheaply. Probably around 20-40$ each for your use plus labor.

How to Build the CMoy Pocket Amplifier is one simple design.

Pretty easy to modify the design for balanced inputs.

1/4 balanced means line level. Why don't you just solder a headphone listen adaptor like this one: CANFORD B-GAUGE JACKFIELD LISTEN ADAPTER

The average line output does not have the capability to drive a low-impedance, high power load like headphones, at least not to any reasonable level. (I'm talking 50-ish ohms and hundreds of milliwatts here).

You could also build your own very cheaply. Probably around 20-40$ each for your use plus labor.

How to Build the CMoy Pocket Amplifier is one simple design.

Pretty easy to modify the design for balanced inputs.

there's a slew of prebuilt cMoy pocket amps on ebay for 30-40 bucks. you might have to modify it to take a TRS balanced input, but it'd be a good start. and cheap. plus most of them are built into altoids boxes, so they're pretty stylin'

The average line output does not have the capability to drive a low-impedance, high power load like headphones, at least not to any reasonable level. (I'm talking 50-ish ohms and hundreds of milliwatts here).
Don't be so sure. I run headphones (in-ear type - 32ohm) out of mixers' outputs all the time with no problems. Plenty of level. Try it for yourself.

Well it actually does work, which is why Canford audio sells the adaptor... Of couse you should not use an AKG 240DF with 88 dB SPL/mW, but rather something with a sensitivity inthe mid 90's or higher.

Last edited:

What about the used market for some of the older Shure wired packs? Most of them have 2 XLR ins, but you could easily build/buy adaptors for the use. You could also build your own very cheaply. Probably around 20-40$ each for your use plus labor.

When I've seen used Shure units, they typically blow the $100 price point-it's still a desirable product, along with the DFR11.

I think Shure should reintroduce updated versions and put them on the market again.

Best regards,

John

Does anyone know of a battery powered headphone amp with 1/4in BALANCED in that is rarely cheap? I can find them all over with a TRS that is either stereo or unbalanced, but can't seem to find a balanced one. We use them for monitoring press feeds and have used a shire model in the past, but are looking for something a bit cheaper (under $100) range.
How about using what you have with an adapter cable. That cable is one I always have with my gear.

I found this cheap Rolls unit but you would still need an adapter cable. Rolls Corporation Rolls PM55 Battery Powered Personal Monitor Amp Headphone Amplifiers at Markertek.com