Beater Sub pt.2

Ben Lawrence

Senior
Mar 2, 2011
Vermont
vtaudiovisual.com
So I have been working on a project to bring a few subs I have back from the dead. No I am not planning on a miracle. It is just a fun project and will be a pair of beater subs. Anyhow I bought some 8 ohm eminence drivers with dual terminals. Wondering if I can jump from one speaker to the next for a 4 ohm load. These are not dual voice coil. Just double checking. Also figured I would pics of a project that started with some carpet covered junkers. Note duratex does not apply well over bondo even if primed.

eminence.jpgsub-one.jpg
sub-two.jpg

Re: Beater Sub pt.2

Sand with 60g. Use rustoleum primer on bondo. It will stick just fine. Humidity and temp are very important w duratex to cure properly. It can either get elastic or brittle, depending the cure conditions.

So what are the ideal conditions?

From the application guide:

"CURING: DuraTex will air dry and the drying time will depend on the amount of relative humidity in
the area. On real dry days with low relative humidity, the product will dry within an hour. On hot
muggy, rainy days with high relative humidity, it may take 2 or 3 hours to dry fully.
Once the DuraTex is dry, it begins to cure. You will notice that the freshly dried DuraTex may feel a
little soft and you can indent it with your thumbnail. Don’t worry. DuraTex will cure to a hard finish
within a few days and it gets its maximum toughness after about 7 days. You can speed up this
curing process by the addition of heat such as in a drying oven by raising the temperature to 140
degrees and drying the cabinet for about 30 minutes. That makes handling, stacking and packaging
easier for rapid shipping. "