Behringer x32 rack display/routing question

Chuck Galaviz

Jan 5, 2021
USA
Hello all, I've posted before about my band's IEM system and we now have a new challenge. I'm still a newbie, and the help from Sound Forums was so awesome and I hope you all are able to help out again!

So my band has the following setup for our IEMs. We have two ART S8 microphone splitters so we can have 16 inputs to split, one going to our Behringer x32 rack and the other goes to ART P16 XLR patch bay which we then can send out to the house PA system so the house sound guys can do whatever they want without it causing issues with our IEM mixes. We also use the IEMs when we practice, to the eternal delight of our drummer's family (and neighbors).

The S8 mic splitters are connected in two groups of 8 to the x32. We have them connected to the x32 inputs 1-8 for the first splitter and inputs 9-16 for the second. All connections were checked prior to submitting this post to make sure nothing came loose and that everything is connected the way we thought it was.

Our issue: only one of the two mic splitters will work at a time. When we practice our drummer uses an e-kit so we only need 7 inputs, but when we play shows we typically need 11 inputs. When we first noticed the problem I just thought things might have been messed up with the connections. However, finally had the time to check the connections and as mentioned above everything was connected as we thought it was. I was thinking maybe something was wrong with the second S8 mic splitter. I clicked on the routing button on the front of the x32 rack, in the home tab I used the knob to select input 9-16 and clicked the knob to select it...and then inputs 9-16 were working and inputs 1-8 stopped working (I had raised the level of all the channels to at least 0 dB before testing the channels). I then selected inputs 1-8 and clicked to select them...and channels 1-8 started working and 9-16 stopped working again.

Good news: the mic splitter doesn't seem to be the problem, it's something with the x32 routing. As I looked at each channel I noticed something on the front display and I don't know what it is. On the display, for the channels that are not working there is a small boxed in C in the upper right corner of the channel number. I can't find what this symbol means, so I don't know if it's relevant to my problem. But it is a difference that I can't explain, so I'm wondering if it has something to do with our problem. I've included a picture with a circle highlighting the thing on the display. I also included a pic of a working channel.

The method for testing: I had my IEM on, which is setup for a more me mix from mix buses 1 and 2. I was plugging a mic in to each input individually and tapping it. While doing this and listening for sound, another person was watching on the meters screen on the x32 to see if there was any activity. In every instance when a channel worked I heard the tapping and the drummer saw movement on the meter for the channel.

Sorry for the long message, I hope someone can help. Thank you! x32 chan9 with c.jpgx32 chan1 no c.jpg