Better alternatives for singers cupping mics

Jamie Taylor

Freshman
May 31, 2011
Hey guys,

I've just picked up a new touring client that has a lead singer that chronically cups his mic. Has anyone had any luck with mics that are less obvious when they're cupped, or is it a case of killing the 2.5k and hoping for the best?

Cheers,

Jamie.

Isn't there a new ksm9 for this?

Hey guys,

...or is it a case of killing the 2.5k and hoping for the best?

Since it's always going to be the same singer, if you can get it loud enough in the monitors for him when cupped (pattern out the window), then just EQ till it sounds good and you'll be fine. It's when things start changing where you'll run into issues - like if he cupped the mic half the time, and held it 6 inches away from his mouth the other half of the time. In the latter case two separately EQd channels may work well, you just bring up whatever channel matches his current mic technique.

Last edited:
Re: Better alternatives for singers cupping mics

Hi Jamie,

My buddy mixes monitors on the Kenny Chesney tour, where they started using a new Shure capsule, called the KSM9/HS, on the money channel this summer. Shure designed it to accommodate artists who cup the mic. My friend says that the thing works like magic and completely solved their cupping troubles.

I don't see this capsule listed on the Shure website, but you might be able to get one if you call a Shure artist rep. Here in Nashville that would be Ryan Smith.

Re: Better alternatives for singers cupping mics

I find the frequency range between 800-1200 Hz most problematic, when dealing with a mic that is cuped. Sometimes it helps to cut around in this area...