Big band for broadcast

Dick Rees

Curmudgeonly Scandihoovian
Jan 11, 2011
St Paul, MN
I usually do live remotes for broadcast but have been asked to record a 19 piece big band for later broadcast. The problem is the room has only a 10' ceiling, so all my usual mic setups are out the window. I don't have the time or the desire to mic up everything, so am thinking of something like this:

5 sax mics on the front row
2 figure-8 mics in the sax row for the 4 bones and 5 trumpets, saxes in the nulls
1 vox mic
rhythm section as needed

add a VP88 at the rear of the house for crowd/ambiance and throw in enough delay on the front mics to tighten it up.

Any further suggestions or pointers on glaring errors?

Thanks

Re: Big band for broadcast

I usually do live remotes for broadcast but have been asked to record a 19 piece big band for later broadcast. The problem is the room has only a 10' ceiling, so all my usual mic setups are out the window. I don't have the time or the desire to mic up everything, so am thinking of something like this:

5 sax mics on the front row
2 figure-8 mics in the sax row for the 4 bones and 5 trumpets, saxes in the nulls
1 vox mic
rhythm section as needed

add a VP88 at the rear of the house for crowd/ambiance and throw in enough delay on the front mics to tighten it up.

Any further suggestions or pointers on glaring errors?

Thanks

One suggestion. Put the VP88 at the stage facing back at the audience so it is time with the live sound and mics. When it is in time with the live sound and mics it will be unobtrusive while the band is playing, with no echo, but work for the audience reactions.

Mac

Re: Big band for broadcast

One suggestion. Put the VP88 at the stage facing back at the audience so it is time with the live sound and mics. When it is in time with the live sound and mics it will be unobtrusive while the band is playing, with no echo, but work for the audience reactions.

Mac

That'll save setting up the delay anyhow. Thanks, Mac.

Edit:

I'll have to see how much room and audience I get off the back of the figure-8's. That might obviate the need for the Veeper in this situation since I'll be time-constrained at the top.

Last edited: