Bottom of the Hill venue in SF - thoughts?

Re: Bottom of the Hill venue in SF - thoughts?

The show went great this past Saturday, and the team at Bottom of the Hill + SIR and the R&R Hall of Fame people couldn't have been nicer. 6 bands starting at 12:30, each had 20 min set and roughly 10-20 minutes inbetween for changeovers. A woman named Kim mixed us and made us sound great.

We ended up being one of the 2 bands from the 6 to go on to the finals in Cleveland Sept 30-Oct 1 - should be even more fun!

thanks to everyone for their sage advice - really helped to make things smooth. Capped off the weekend with a trip with the family to Alcatraz, which was fun as well.

Attachments

• DSC_0049.jpg
    DSC_0049.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 0

Well, congratulations! Glad you're moving to the next round.

Kimmy is a real champ with a very good ear. I'm going to make a quick plug for her -- she has been having a health struggle and anyone interested in helping a sound gal out can consider donating here.

Best of luck!

waldo

[waldo] Casey Williams;13462 said:
Well, congratulations! Glad you're moving to the next round.

Kimmy is a real champ with a very good ear. I'm going to make a quick plug for her -- she has been having a health struggle and anyone interested in helping a sound gal out can consider donating here.

Best of luck!

waldo

Casey - thanks very much - I already went and donated.

Kim indeed had a great ear, was pleasant to deal with and rocked the house with the sound - polite and clear communication during monitor setup before our show, and I thanked her after for making us sound good.

One odd thing. SIR had brought great backline, including a Vox AC30 6TB, a good Twin Reverb, and a Yamaha maple 5 piece kit. Kim had those completely dialed in by the time we hit the stage (4th band). Drums sounded simply amazing - she had them tailor-made after 3 bands.

6th and last band had the set taken off stage and replaced with a Roland TD electronic drum set. Sucked all the life out of the room and sounded horrible. I know a lot of it is patch selection, but at a battle of the bands where the soundperson has painstakingly tweaked a great kit to perfection, why mess around with it? Our drummer brought his own snare and DW double kick pedals (we asked in advance) and was thrilled to have such a great kit and drum monitor mix.

Getting guitars and drum pieces to San Francisco in the minivan was easy; will have to plan out how we get it to Cleveland. May opt for a pallet/crate to ship.