Business Plans

Jan 11, 2011
Houston, Texas
Hey guys,

I was looking at finally writing up a full business plans but, I honestly just dont quite know where to start or what exactly to include.If you guys could post some examples OR email me a few that would be really great. Im not going to directly copy someones Im just looking for some examples. Also feel free to post any pointers etc. Ive donte a lot of work with other companies but id like to step out and try things out on my own. Run a business my way for a while and see how it goes, from what I have done on my own I think it will work out alright.
icon_cool.gif

EFHunter4419(at)gmail.com

Re: Business Plans

Might I suggest you local library for general business education.

It's not so much the ''form'' itself, but the process of thinking things through that really matters; the depth of research, clarity of thought and accurate financial considerations.

There are also software products to help you write business plans. You might read reviews of some to see what might help you.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Really give your local chapter a call. They were very helpfull for me in getting a level head and making me re-think what I wanted to start. Instead of diving in what i thought I had planned they brought to light a lot of things I didn't plan for. I've slowly been working on it in the off time of my day job, but they've been nothing but positives for me and helping me understand the process.

http://www.score.org/

Your business plan is about what you going to be doing and with your intended goals.

My business plan is 1-2 pages in length; it has a little bit about my history, what I currently do and what my short term and long terms goals are. Now my business plan isn't going to be going in front of a loan officer anytime soon.

[quote title=Tim McCulloch wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 20:52]

It's not so much the ''form'' itself, but the process of thinking things through that really matters; the depth of research, clarity of thought and accurate financial considerations.

/quote]

+1000

I have some stuff I could probably send you. The main point of the business plan is to properly think everything through. The process is actually more valuable than the end product, but the product may be necessary for loans as well as to provide a point of reference for review. You need to sit down later and compare your results with your plan and continually reevaluate.

In general though, this is a copy/paste from the table of contents of a business plan I did for a 400 person venue last December. If you don't know anything about accounting I would try to see if you can take a introductory business accounting course that will cover financial and managerial accounting concepts. You need to learn these things to properly articulate a business plan and they are really best learnt in an educational setting. It takes some motivation to go through a 500 page textbook when you aren't being evaluated.

Executive Summary .................................................................................. p. 1

Section I The Concept

Introduction ................................................................................................. p. 2

Products and Services ................................................................................ p. 2

Customers................................................................................................... p. 2

Section II Market Analysis

The Opportunity........................................................................................... p. 3

Location....................................................................................................... p. 4

Site.............................................................................................................. p. 4

Site Expenses ............................................................................................. p. 4

Market Potential .......................................................................................... p. 5

Competition................................................................................................. p. 6

Sales Forecasts........................................................................................... p. 6

Section III Marketing Plan

The Image................................................................................................... p. 7

The Name ................................................................................................... p. 7

Product Mix ................................................................................................. p. 8

Pricing ......................................................................................................... p. 8

Distribution .................................................................................................. p. 9

Promotion.................................................................................................... p. 9

Section IV Operations

The Owners............................................................................................... p. 10

Logistics .................................................................................................... p. 10

Methods and Prodecures .......................................................................... p. 11

Organization.............................................................................................. p. 11

Systems .................................................................................................... p. 12

Regulation................................................................................................. p. 12

Section V Finances

Start-up & Owners Investement ................................................................ p. 13

Projected Monthly Sales............................................................................ p. 14

Balance Sheets ......................................................................................... p. 15

Income Statements ................................................................................... p. 19

Projected Cash Flow................................................................................. p. 22

Break-Even ............................................................................................... p. 25

Appendices

(The appendices were another 12 pages).

Here is an additional research tool from a local university here. I suspect most community colleges and universities in your area would have something similar, and you may be able to access all of them from within the school library. This page obviously has a lot of Canadian content, but it's just to demonstrate that people are working hard to compile this information and by signing up for one course you may gain access to millions of dollars of research tools (literally).

http://library.concordia.ca/research/subjects/marketing/entrepreneurship/

Here is an additional research tool from a local university here. I suspect most community colleges and universities in your area would have something similar, and you may be able to access all of them from within the school library. This page obviously has a lot of Canadian content, but it's just to demonstrate that people are working hard to compile this information and by signing up for one course you may gain access to millions of dollars of research tools (literally).

http://library.concordia.ca/research/subjects/marketing/entrepreneurship/

Marlow, Thanks for a lot of good info. Thanks for all the other posts too!