Cars in Snow

Re: Cars in Snow

1997 VW GTI VR6. I was into the modified import car scene for awhile, so there is nothing OEM on the car. It's sitting about 3'' from the floor and snowplows everywhere I go. I put snow tires on the car and have never been stuck, surprisingly.

Minneapolis has, I believe, the highest concentration of Somali/East African immigrants in the US. The day after the first slicker-upper of the year has been interesting to watch all the used Toyotas cart-wheeling down the street.

Minneapolis has, I believe, the highest concentration of Somali/East African immigrants in the US. The day after the first slicker-upper of the year has been interesting to watch all the used Toyotas cart-wheeling down the street.

+1 we have Flyboys at the airbase that do this, along with all the students here to learn to fly planes, we have quite a somali concentration also and I stay home for the first day of snow if possible.

93 Q45 - With traction control, nothing happens - goes nowhere. W/O traction control, off I go - in a circle
icon_evil.gif
. Last winter I barely got out of the drive into the cul de sac, and barely made it back into the drive. I got in the 92 328i 5 speed and effortlessly backed out of the drive and motored off to work. I think it's got positraction :D

This is why I finally had to replace my Q45. Great in OR/WA, not so great in MN. I got stuck in my driveway too many times.

In Central MA where I live, we got about 21-25 inches of snow and yet more is coming Tuesday... Hopefully not more than 6 inches. By Mid Feb, I wouldn't be surprised if we got about 35 inches in total.

I wonder what I'd be able to build with all this snow.... hehe

Hopefully someday vehicle swap #2 will be the Explorer for some kind of cool car - top of my list at the moment is a BMW 328i xDrive. I'm interested to read reports like yours of good winter driving in relatively small cars. It gives me hope of something like that working around here the other 4 months of the year.

Fun fact of the day: I've now used more diesel in my tractor snowblowing this winter than I did mowing all last season.

when the snow started plummeting down i have to park it in my neighbors garage since his son have it on his university grounds. man you don't know what snow can do to a car the last time i fixed my 2011 bmw 328i tail light were replaced due to the water damage after.

snowballin' missed doing that.

I have a '98 Ford Ranger, rear-wheel drive, automatic transmission.

After going to college out in Indiana for 4 years, I've learned how it reacts with/without weight in the back in snowy/icy weather. Many a fun driving experience. Once, I drove home for Christmas break; the storm had just ended in IN and I drove with it all the way home to NJ (about 700 miles). I probably should have pulled over a couple of times when I felt the car sway back and forth, but I didn't want to use my breaks to slow down that fast from the 75MPH I was doing.
icon_rolleyes.gif

If people want to add weight to their vehicle(s), look for used weight sets or do what I did and buy some 50lb. footer blocks. They'll last a lot longer than sand bags and don't get ripped to shreds. I reuse them each year as necessary.