Chauvet SlimPar Pro RGBA

TJ Cornish

Graduate
Jan 13, 2011
St. Paul, MN
My long awaited Chauvet SlimPar Pro RGBA has arrived! I haven't had time to hook it to a DMX controller or do any fixture comparisons, but here are the immediate out of the box impressons:

Build quality is REALLY nice. The aluminum casting is beatiful, the yoke/tilt stand is really nice, and it is a really solid feeling fixture.

It comes with a nice locking IEC cord, though it's not super long - 5' or so.

I've only had a chance to run it with an internal demo program, but the dimming curves do indeed seem more "incandescent" and less steppy.

The manual is very good.

If this fixture is as video safe as they claim, I think I have a winner for my purposes. I'll post a full review this weekend.

Re: Chauvet SlimPar Pro RGBA

We have had 16 for about 4 months. I really like the fixture. I have shot some HDSLR video and I didn't notice any flickering, but it may be different with a cheaper camcorder. I also like that the amber emitters are to my eyes, just as bright as the other colors. To get a great orange all you need is red an amber, and it is a very good orange. Yellow is equally as impressive. Its not as good as a Selador fixture, but at 1/4 the price it does pretty damn well. Also surprising is that in 4 months, we haven't had a single issue with the fixtures, unlike some other chauvet products.

I've only played around with the nonlinear dimming curves, but they do slow down the response of the fixture. You may like this or you may not, but its not something that I would use for Rock and roll. You can't flash them with the dimming curve enabled unless you're using them in the 10 channel mode, and I personally haven't used that mode as there aren't personality files for MagicQ for that mode.

In summary: Good output, good color including yellow and orange. Wish it had HSI+color temp, but at this price point, I can't complain.