Checking CDJs for functionality

Lisa Lane-Collins

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Trying to sneak this post in here under AV hire as that's the capacity in which I own this kind of equipment..

So my question is, what do you check on your CDJs before you stamp them as functional?

I own, and I hire out, but I never play with, and beyond putting a CD in and playing with the scratch feature, what else do I need to check?

I have 800s, 800mk2s and 1000mk3s to play with. Tentatively bashing buttons on the 800s and have already discovered the loop exit button on one of them doesn't work. Just eyeballing them I can see other apparent functions such as memory, call and quick return but haven't a clue how to test them.

Re: Checking CDJs for functionality

I'm no expert on the matter, but considering I see a lot of replacement buttons for sale on ebay when I look at CDJ's, I would always check those, especially the ones like the effects and play / pause that people tend to abuse when under the influence of various substances.

Re: Checking CDJs for functionality

One feature to consider, that's popular with some DJs who use the functionality of the better CDJ models as a creative performance tool (quite impressively sometimes) where tracks are manipulated beyond the usual speed, pitch, filters etc - is to check the SD card reader works without any problem.

An inserted SD card allows some models to toggle (on buttons) between pre-programmed loops, when an appropriate disc is loaded.

For some users it is an essential function of the machine, as they rely on the loops that are triggered when the buttons are pressed, as an integral part of their performance.

Unfortunately as I don't know exactly how these points are created on the card, so I can't hypothesize on how to create any test points enabling you to check it all works - but for players with that facility, it should be in the manual or failing that out there on the interweb.

Sent from my GT-I8160 2