Choice for attractive visually super minimal recessed ceiling speakers?

Fred Allman

Freshman
Sep 2, 2013
NYC Metro
To the experts and any other tortured souls:.... I am looking for advise on the selection of some 70V ceiling speakers that have a very low visual impact when painted to match an existing ceiling. The application is for a very elaborate plaster ceiling in a historical Grand Ballroom where the walls are 100% off limits for speakers. I was considering the Tannoy CMS series with their ALCO grilles but have never seen these in action. I am sure that there are some of you that have run into this dilemma in your travels and I would greatly appreciate any input on this subject.

Btw, plaster in transducer systems are also out of the question for several reasons so the solution must be more conventional.

Many thanks in advance.

\m/

Re: Choice for attractive visually super minimal recessed ceiling speakers?

Tannoy CMS series is excellent for this kind of application, how high is the ceiling? I think the bigger challenge will be installing them in a plaster ceiling without getting into trouble, due to the fragile nature of the ceiling construction and potential material hazards (asbestos). Probably more hassle than it's worth!

I have done a few very historic ballroom type rooms with all kinds of limitations imposed on me, the most successful ones I have done incorporate a steerable column line array strategically placed into the corners of the room (EAW DSA or Tannoy QFLEX). In one heritage property room with very ornamental wallpaper, we had an artist paint the speaker grill and case in such a way that you wouldn't even be able to see the speaker unless you pointed it out to them and they had to look hard to find it! So don't rule out wall speakers in these kinds of situations!

Re: Choice for attractive visually super minimal recessed ceiling speakers?

Not sure if these are available in the US, but they definetely are the ceiling speakers with the thinnest and most unobtrusive grill I know:

Audac CEL08: http://www.audac.be/productInfo.aspx?pCD=CELO8

Vielen Dank!..... nice product. We ended up solving the problem in the most simple way possible. No Sound for YOU! We excluded the room from our scope of work and now they get to hire Mr. DJ whenever they have an event.