Comments on ''Conan'' guest band production

jeffsw6

Freshman
Jan 10, 2011
Louisville, KY
I'm a ''Conan'' fan. I'm sure many others are as well. I imagine he really does have a smaller budget with TBS than NBC, as the set is not quite as fancy as the major-network late night shows, etc.

I particularly enjoy the ''guest band'' part of the show. I often think the lighting sucks, though. They seem to have similar fixtures in basically similar quantity for all the bands I've watched on the show so far. I figured, well, it's not a major network show, and there must be some limits to the work they are willing to put into lighting design for a four minute segment of an hour-long show.

Well, Cheap Trick was on last night. IMO their performance was far more visually impressive than any of the other groups. I wonder if they brought their own LD or asked for the Conan show to give the local LD some overtime or whatever? +1 to Cheap Trick for making it look good.

I'm not going to comment on the audio. I'm not a home theater guy, and all music sounds pretty bland through the speakers in my TV. Might as well be listening to Cheap Trick through a Bose L1.

I'm sorry I missed Saving Abel on Lopez. I bet that was neat.

Re: Comments on ''Conan'' guest band production

I'm a ''Conan'' fan. I'm sure many others are as well. I imagine he really does have a smaller budget with TBS than NBC, as the set is not quite as fancy as the major-network late night shows, etc.

I particularly enjoy the ''guest band'' part of the show. I often think the lighting sucks, though. They seem to have similar fixtures in basically similar quantity for all the bands I've watched on the show so far. I figured, well, it's not a major network show, and there must be some limits to the work they are willing to put into lighting design for a four minute segment of an hour-long show.

Well, Cheap Trick was on last night. IMO their performance was far more visually impressive than any of the other groups. I wonder if they brought their own LD or asked for the Conan show to give the local LD some overtime or whatever? +1 to Cheap Trick for making it look good.

I'm not going to comment on the audio. I'm not a home theater guy, and all music sounds pretty bland through the speakers in my TV. Might as well be listening to Cheap Trick through a Bose L1.

I'm sorry I missed Saving Abel on Lopez. I bet that was neat.

Conan's old set in NYC was tiny compared to his new set.

The band's LD has no say in how the band will be lit. That is the show's LD and director call. They are open to suggestions though if there is some special request.

Ditto on audio. I am not allowed to put my hands on the console and mix but I can make suggestions on levels and EQing or tell the music mixer if there is a specific effect that needs to be used.

Lopez was great. I was surprised how big his set is. It is taped at stage 29A @ Warner Bros studio in Burbank, next to the Ellen DeGeneres show and the Two And A Half Men set. Conan is on the same lot too..

For those who missed it, here is the Saving Abel performance:

http://www.lopeztonight.com/episode_recaps_and_highlights/good_sex_with_saving_abel.php#content

I'm a ''Conan'' fan. I'm sure many others are as well.

I wish his show was as good as the commercials he did FOR the show. I thought the marketing leading up to the premier show was great. I don't dislike him but find him awkward and seriously not funny most of the time.

YMMV

John

Andy Richter is much funnier and made the early Conan shows (the old ones) more enjoyable. When he left it wasn't much of a show.

While not a discussion about band production... Conan is a decent comedian, if you like his delivery and writers.. it is targeted for much younger folk than I.

I suspect it is difficult to make money with so many talk shows in the same time slots. and viewer habits continuing to splinter off. This will only get worse with web TV but de-linkage from hard time schedules via the internet could actually help Conan and other iconic comedians find their core audience, and vice versa..

JR