Community iBox

Re: Community iBox

I've heard the ihp3594 pretty extensively. It's a pretty decent box. Best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a community product? A bit heavy on the mids and the high end is not quite as smooth and sparkly as I like, but overall it sounds good and seems to work well for just about anything you can throw at it. I would say it is on par sound quality wise with any other comparable box in it's class, like the EV qrx or jbl srx. It doesn't seem as efficient as a fully horn loaded box like their SLS series. I would say the one thing it has going for it as with most community products are the many available configurations to suit the size and coverage needed for your venue.

Tom, thanks for your reply. What draws me to community products is that they're relatively lightweight, and they can be used in a lot of different ways, the only question mark remaining is what the pricing is going to be like. Do you have some idea of that?

Has anyone seen these out in action yet?

http://communitypro.com/index.php/product-list/103-ibox-series

They're delivering the same decent efficiency ratings (100, 101) with more impressive power ratings than the S-series or Veris series. Makes me very curious....

The Veris three way boxes wins bids and can be shined up nicely with some DSP care. I don't know that price differential, but I can only imagine the iBox is even better, with apparently stouter components.

Community product is always well supported, robustly built, and offers high value for the dollar. For moderate budget installs Community is really hard to beat.

Is there anything about them that makes them inappropriate for use in, say, an outdoor live music setting?

Yeah, they're not pole mountable, and have to be special ordered as portable (just adds handles), which doesn't really help when the boxes start at about 90 pounds. Not what I would call lightweight, at all.

That said, I owned a pair of IHP1294P and can't say enough good things about them. That model uses an insane 12" woofer that never seems to run out of gas even with 1200 watts into it (IT4000/5000HD at clip), and the HF is a Beyma 755, which IMHO is one of the best sounding compression drivers I've heard. I don't know if the 3-way models use the same driver, but if they do, then I have no idea how Tom doesn't like the HF.

The Beyma 755 blows way past the 12", as would be expected in a 2-way box. Biamped or passive, they sound great, and take a beating. I just got sick of lifting them. I can only imagine the 15" and 3-way models sound even better.

The iBox is in a completely different league than the Veris series, though the Veris do sound pretty good, they're made in China, and are inferior to the iBox in every way except the price.

The S series is a portable series, Veris and iBox are primarily install boxes.

Disclaimer: I'm an unbiased Community dealer :lol:

Last edited:

Veris boxes aren't bad, the price is certainly nice. They just don't get rock and roll loud. I've used them for very small rooms, for very low budget applications, and in those applications they work well.

The 12" 2 way iBox was pretty good, very decent for a 2 way front loaded speaker. I haven't heard the 3 way models. On paper at least, the 3 way doesn't get much, if any, louder.

Haven't installed any of these yet, although we will be in a few weeks. However I have used the Veris 3-way's for a large, echo-ey church with a low budget and was quite pleased with them for the application. The three way's seemed to have good patten control (as one would expect) and the guys at Community sent me a whole excel sheet with some DSP tunings that they had come up with from various field work to start with. Those provided a great starting point and really brought out the best in the box.

Heh, actually Community's service alone is a great reason to work with their products.