Community SLS920 vs JBL SRX 835p in terms of usable SPL?

Stan Chigintsev

Freshman
Oct 16, 2015
Hi all,

Initially I wanted to get two SRX835p for rock gigs of about 200-500 people indoors, because they are pole mountable, sound good and can get loud. But I'm short on cash. So, right now I can get 2 used Community
SLS920 for the price of one SRX835p.

I do have amps to power 920s properly. Subs will be either LS801 or LS1208 but it's a different story... I like Community SLS series and will be getting
SLS960 for outdoors gigs.

The problem is that SLS920 lack bass (100-200hz - so I was told) which is normally important for rock. So I was thinking of lowering overall level of SLS920 while boosting low mids.

So, my question is this: can two SLS920 with slightly lowered max level and boosted bass be compatible IN OUTPUT with two SRX835p ? I know they will
sound differently, but will they have compatible sustained SPL?

Last edited:
Re: Community SLS920 vs JBL SRX 835p in terms of usable SPL?

No one heard them both? Or did I post on wrong forum?

It's probably a difficult comparison, the SL series has been around for 15 years, the 835p for about a year. It would seem prime for a head to head shoot out but there is enough difference in the form factor that anyone needing the form factor of the 920 probably can't use the 835.

What kind of gigs does your band play, Stan? For most weddings and bar gigs the lack of 100-200Hz probably won't be a deal killer.

Tim, We are a "beginner" sound company, not a band. I agree that for weddings and DJ stuff lack of 100-200 hz won't be noticed. But I'm a bit concerned about rock gigs that we often provide sound for. Community is very conservative about SPL rating, more so than JBL, and they have similar Max SPL on paper: 137. I can try to raise sub crossover point to 150 (starting from, say, 50 or even 60 ?) for rock. I think there's really no sub-bass needed for rock as it is for dance music. The accent is on bass around 150-300 hz. Would you agree?I'm leaning more towards 920s because they can be gotten for cheaper and weight slightly less (70 vs 80 lbs).

The SLS920 is a great little utility box. We've been running them for all kinds of events for the past few years with excellent results. They get as loud as a dual 12 + 2" box, but are half the size and very efficient. Yeah, they fall off quickly below 200hz, so that can be a problem for some. I DO NOT recommend boosting the low mids to make up for it- you'll toast the 8's quickly. Instead, I would dial back the mid/high section with some corrective EQ. It's how we've gotten away with running them directly into subs for the past few years and nobody has complained once about missing any midbass.

Evan

Evan,
Great info, thanks. Have you used them for rock as well? I mean, you know, with overdrive rhythm guitars kind of music. How did you cross them with subs?

Another question I have is this: I've heard that some of the very first SLS920s were made with old Eminence HF driver, rather than new VHF100. How do I check for the driver? The seller will ship them to me so I can't check it myself prior to purchase. But he is willing to open them and take pictures, if needed. Does it take to open the boxes to see what HF driver is in them?

Evan,
Great info, thanks. Have you used them for rock as well? I mean, you know, with overdrive rhythm guitars kind of music. How did you cross them with subs?

Another question I have is this: I've heard that some of the very first SLS920s were made with old Eminence HF driver, rather than new VHF100. How do I check for the driver? The seller will ship them to me so I can't check it myself prior to purchase. But he is willing to open them and take pictures, if needed. Does it take to open the boxes to see what HF driver is in them?

We've done everything from loud rock shows, to laid back jazz. We run them down to 150hz, and cross the subs at 85hz.

RS220's were Eminence HF. I don't believe that any of the SLS boxes were Eminence.

Evan

Tim, We are a "beginner" sound company, not a band. I agree that for weddings and DJ stuff lack of 100-200 hz won't be noticed..
There are A LOT of DJs that are "obsessed" with heavy midbass (around 110Hz). And there are a number of companies that make dedicated midbass cabinets specifically for the DJ market and this freq range.

So yes-it would be noticed-by some people anyway.

What is different about a wedding bands freq response than other bands? Just curious.

The term "wedding band" covers a wide range. I was in a wedding band for a number of years, and they go paid rates that most rock bands only dream about.

And many have systems that most rock bands would LOVE to have.

But maybe you are referring to something else.

There are A LOT of DJs that are "obsessed" with heavy midbass (around 110Hz). And there are a number of companies that make dedicated midbass cabinets specifically for the DJ market and this freq range.

So yes-it would be noticed-by some people anyway.

What is different about a wedding bands freq response than other bands? Just curious.

The term "wedding band" covers a wide range. I was in a wedding band for a number of years, and they go paid rates that most rock bands only dream about.

And many have systems that most rock bands would LOVE to have.

But maybe you are referring to something else.

I'm in NYC, and over here most of the wedding bands play (I should say SING) pop music for a click track or some kind of DJ Karaoke tracks. Sometimes live drums are added on top, keyboards, percussion, trumpets, bass. But very rarely I've met overdriven guitars on weddings and when I did, they sounded thin, like in a pop-music style. I think the most demand for mid-bass comes from heavy overdrive guitars. I'm sure for a pure DJ stuff SLS920 will be fine. For DJ-kind of dance music usually Subs obliterate all the "low sounding stuff", meaning that bass is very over-emphasized, and therefore lack of 100-200 Hz should not be really noticed. It's only hard rock or heavy metal that I'm somewhat concerned about with SLS920.

For DJ-kind of dance music usually Subs obliterate all the "low sounding stuff", meaning that bass is very over-emphasized, and therefore lack of 100-200 Hz should not be really noticed.

I think basing your sound system purchase decision on the problems not really being noticed is a weak starting point as a sound system supplier.

Mac

I think basing your sound system purchase decision on the problems not really being noticed is a weak starting point as a sound system supplier.

Mac

And yet many suppliers use SLS920 for rock with success. I hope this thread doesn't turn into "if you don't have big money - don't even try to fit among us - reach professionals" kind of thing. That's why I asked if anyone can compare those two models. I can audition SRX835, but not the SLS920 until after I buy them.

Also, basing purchase of SRX835 on the fact that customers won't notice my struggle trying to put them on poles is not a strong starting point.

And yet many suppliers use SLS920 for rock with success. I hope this thread doesn't turn into "if you don't have big money - don't even try to fit among us - reach professionals" kind of thing. That's why I asked if anyone can compare those two models. I can audition SRX835, but not the SLS920 until after I buy them.

Also, basing purchase of SRX835 on the fact that customers won't notice my struggle trying to put them on poles is not a strong starting point.

Stan, you have a number of conflicting requirements, the "fix" for most of them requires a liberal application of money or a change in the requirements.

Small (lightweight)/loud/cheap - pick any 2.