Connecting Klipsch Subwoofer to Existing 5.1 Home Theater Receiver

Jack Savage

Oct 11, 2022
GA
Helped a friend of mine move into a smaller place. He was getting rid of his Klipsch R-10SWi wireless subwoofer. I have a Pioneer VSX-321 stereo system and figured I could connect it to replace the subwoofer already present in the system for some more kick.

The problem I'm facing is that I haven't been able to get any signal from the receiver to the sub.

Looked through the subwoofer manual online and It describes two or three ways to wire it to your amp:
  1. Wireless, using the provided wireless transmitter
  2. Wired, using a single cable from LFE in (SW) to LFE out (Amp)
  3. Wired, using left and right channel pre-amp outputs from the amp to the Left/LFE and Right input on the subwoofer
I tried to get the wireless transmitter to work with no luck. I made sure it was powered on and synced with the subwoofer, but still couldn't get signal. I had it plugged into the "SURR BACK PRE OUT L (Single)" output on the back of the receiver

I also tried going the wired routed by using a 2-male RCA cable running from the receiver to the subwoofer left/right inputs as described in option 3 above.

Looked at the pioneer manual too. The only thing I could find to try and get it working was adjusting the SW speaker settings (page 24) to the 'PLUS' setting.

Am I SOL with my current setup and just need to upgrade to a better receiver? Given that my only sub output on my amp is a speaker wired connection and the sub doesn't support that, I have a feeling that is the case.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

A surround output can’t go to a sub? They don’t have any sub bass in the surrounds do they? If the only sub output is wired and your only sub is not wired, I think this may well be the problem. One of them has to go!

Reactions: Jack Savage