Console-iPad signal improvement

Hanse Goh

Aug 20, 2018
Korea
Hello.
I serve in the church and our main console is yamaha CL5.
I'm using Yamaha's iPad-based StageMix app, remote controller.
Cl5 and router are connected via ethernet cable, lan port.

I have a problem with frequent wireless signal disconnection. I think the place using iPad is quite far away.
So I'm trying to improve wireless signal using another router.
How can I setup the router?
Should I set it to switch hub mode?
The router's model is zio 3300N.
There are total two routers that extend wifi coverage.

Hi Hanse,
This is a common problem in my experience.

Does it also happen when there are only a few people in the building, or does it mostly just happen when you have a larger crowd? If it is worst when you have a large crowd, then what is typically happening is that all of the phones people are carrying with them are searching the Wifi range (and communicating with your access point, even if they are not connected to it) and this is saturating the access point with requests. Most cheap wifi routers cannot handle large numbers of devices.

If it is happening regardless of the number of people/devices in the building, then you may have coherence issues due to interference from other wireless networks or devices operating in the same spectrum.

There are a few options: Adding more wifi access points to extend your coverage actually might not help much.

One option is to hide your network (SSID). This will prevent unwanted devices from attempting to connect to it, which should help. The downside of course is that everyone who needs to connect to the network will need to know the SSID and encryption settings and must manually enter them into their device.

Another option is (provided that your device supports it) to split the wireless into both the 2.4 and 5GHz spectrum as 2 separate SSID's, and reserve one of these exclusively for the iPad (in this case hiding the SSID would be a good idea).

Another option is to purchase a higher quality wireless access point that can handle more load, such as a Cisco or Aruba enterprise grade model. This will be considerably more expensive, but these tend to be rock solid.

Another option which may help is to get a directional antenna for one of the access points (although this will only help with coherence and range, not with the problem of too many unwanted devices scanning the access point.

I hope that's a helpful start.

Another couple options:
1. As mentioned, a higher gain directional antenna
2. A second (or third) access point / wireless router running the same SSID but on a different channel. That would allow you to roam seamlessly over a larger distance. In my cafe, I run three access points, same SSID for both 2ghz and 5ghz, and the three on different 2ghz channels (1, 6, 11) and three separate channels for the 5ghz. All this runs off a single Comcast line into the cafe. In fact, we run a POS for the restaurant on a completely separate network and router (Meraki), and five vlans and 4 SSIDs on a Ubiquiti Unifi gateway, switch, and APs.The Unifi Gateway and Meraki POS router plug into the switch ports of the Comcast cable "router", along with VOIP.
3. If it is not weak signal, but rather more folks, your only real option is to upgrade to a SOHO/commercial system that supports multiple IDs and VLANs. Shop carefully. Many of the business class systems also come with a hefty monthly maintenance charges) Leave the "public" SSID network open or guest, and have the business/sound on a different SSID w/WPA/PSK login and keep the data separate via a VLAN. Hiding the SSID is of minimal use.
4. Given this is a church, and hacking/spoofing probably not going on during service, that second business/sound could use a whitelist to allow just your devices MAC address.

Remember also that having the greatest transmitter won't do you much good if the Ipad is not up to the task. Transmission of course is Bi directional. If the Ipad can't reach back to the system it will drop out as well. Any obstructions around the Ipad area?

N routers are basically antiques at this point! Upgrade to an AC router.
Most AC routers have multiple antennas with beam forming capabilities with aim the signal to the remote device.
Use the 5Ghz band as there is much less interference.
Similar to the router, make sure you are using a current iPad.
Note that hiding the SID doesn't help. It still responds to device connect requests and there are plenty of scanners that expose the SID.