Cost of new Concert Array Systems?

John Chiara

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Troy, NY
I am not in the large format production game. Reading about Kenny Chesney's new Nexo concert system. The setup in Live Sound mag is for an outdoor 20,000 seat venue. Trying to ballpark the cost of systems of this magnitude. Seems like a monumental investment in a business that adopts new tech every few years.

Re: Cost of new Concert Array Systems?

John,

Though "new" tech is introduced frequently, it is adopted less frequently.
L Acoustics Vdosc is now 20 years old, and still rider acceptable.

Large format line array systems are in the 5000-10,000 per box range when amplification, processing, rigging, cabling, dollies and racks are totaled.

With more driver, amplification and DSP intensive cabinets capable of beam steering from a flat hang like the EAW Anya system coming to market, new prices will be higher, and used line array system prices will drop somewhat.

As more and more decent used gear is on the market, return on investment will continue to drop other than for those at the top of the cake-eating sectors.
Unfortunately, nothing "new" about that..

Art

The price on top tier equipment is pretty high. Seems like anything large format is $10,000+ a box then factor in amps, dsp, dollies, covers, bumpers etc....
Something like the Martin MLA large format is a complete sound system buy in. You have to purchase 24 MLA tops, x number of subs, distros, computers etc to the tune of something like $1Mil.

I'm gonna quote someone here (I think Tim McCulloch, feel free to correct me) who said, "If the tour is long enough, I'll buy whatever the BE wants."

The old systems don't get junked - they move down the market a little, like used cars. Or they stay in the inventory of companies like Clair, touring with performers who are not in the top ten. If you work at a local arena or big theater you'll see all kinds of old speaker systems rolling through.