Cueing Software for Yamaha Digital Mixers

Apologies now for the long post, but without some explanation, few will understand what the point of this post is, and what I'm asking for. (Possibly not even then!)

Some of you may remember my previous software, SOF (Sends on Fader), which came about by filling a need that Yamaha digital mixer users expressed, being able to switch to Sends on Fader mode in Studio Manager. The program was very popular, so much so, that Yamaha decided to incorporate that same functionality natively into the M7CL and later Editors. Their implementation clearly works better since they were able to incorporate it directly into the editor rather than my external software method. However, users with the LS9 or earlier mixers can still use my software and do, and my software also has the 1-channel-to-many-mixes-on-fader function that doesn't exist on the Yamaha. Basically, though, my software wouldn't have been very workable at all if it weren't for the folks from the Pro Audio community that stepped up and beta-tested the hell out of it.

Since then, I've still been very interested in MIDI control and communication with the Yamaha Digital mixers and being somewhat of a power-user of their products, was looking for a way to expand on the Yamaha Scene management system. I made some software way back which did some things with MIDI control of the desks, but it was pretty clunky and didn't really do what I wanted. But I learned a lot writing that and other software, and as programming is just a hobby of mine between tours, it's taken me many years to write this new software for the Yamaha desks and to get it to the point of being fairly functional. It's different than QLab or Palladium in that it's only for Yamaha mixers, doesn't do it's own playback and doesn't control other devices. It's also a lot cheaper. (Free!)
I'm now reaching out to the community once again to see if there are any like-minded folks who have a need for more control over their Yamaha desks or are simply interested in doing more with their mixers. It's called YammieQ, and no, I'm not that excited about the name, but so far haven't come up with a better one.

This software in it's current state is certainly not for everyone. It's for digital mixing experts who already are very familiar with scene management, cueing software and who regularly run shows with multiple scenes and cues. It also only runs on Windows, so I know that immediately eliminates a good many of you! Furthermore, at this point the software is not even Beta ready, more like Alpha. I'm looking for help from people who are comfortable with Windows, know very well how to use Studio Manager or the CL Editor with their mixer, and are comfortable testing (possibly very) buggy software. Even more than that, I'd like to connect with people that find this sort of software interesting and useful enough that they'd like to contribute to it's creation by offering suggestions of ways to make it better, clearer, simpler and more powerful. Nobody has tried this software but me so far, so I fully expect the first testers to find some bugs right away, as everyone will have different ways of using the software that I'm sure I have never tried.

I'm sure at this point, most will have no idea what the software I'm talking about is for, so here's some highlights. Basically, though, it seems to me that this platform is powerful enough to do many things that I haven't even thought of, even though at it's simplest it just records and plays back MIDI. It's the control over that functionality that's taken the years of work so far!

Stuff you can do with YammieQ

• Store/Recall things that are not saved in Scenes. e.g. Outport delays, screen colours, preferences, channel cueing, etc.
  • Create “Macros” that will change a parameter or a bunch of parameters when triggered, e.g. from a UDK.
  • Store/Recall single parameters that cannot be saved using the scene system separate from it's parameter group. e.g. Pan of a Mix separate from it’s level. HPF On/Off separate from it’s frequency. Eq On/Off separate from the EQ settings.
  • Delayed actions. e.g. a parameter changing after a certain amount of time has passed after a trigger or changing a parameter slowly (i.e. cross-fades)
  • Change one or many parameters from a single trigger. e.g. Turn off the direct out when a channel is muted, change the custom fader layout when a mix is cued, fade out the music and then lock the console, cue certain channels at the start of a scene change, etc.
  • Recall settings without them being over-written when saving a scene. e.g. A channel is unmuted when you recall a scene, then you manually turn it off while in that scene and store it. Using the built-in Scene management of the Yamaha desks, if that parameter (channel on/off) is safed, it wouldn’t turn on when you recall that scene. If it’s not safed, it will be off when you recall the scene since you saved it that way. You’d need to recall the scene, turn the channel back on and re-save. YammieQ can make that easier by working outside the Scene Management system in the desk.
  • Trigger from external MIDI. e.g. use a MIDI controller or a smartphone app to recall cues. Triggers can also be done from hotkeys on the computer.
  • Only specific parameters that are in the cue will be affected when fired. Cues can be edited to remove or disable parts of the cue or add new parameters to the cue.
  • Normally you would use the software connected to a Yamaha mixer, but Triggers and Cues can also be created offline using the console editor. There are some limitations to the console functions that exist in the editor, of course.
  • Triggers and Cues are created by “learning” the parameters from the console or editor. From there they can be edited as needed. Very fast workflow.

If any of this sounds like something you'd be interested in and would like to help, please contact me at my website.
If there are general questions about the software, fire away here and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks for listening! ;-)

Last edited:
Re: Cueing Software for Yamaha Digital Mixers

Andrew, this all sound very cool. I'll hit you up on your website.

Right away I can see that I would love the ability to mute the direct out of a channel when that channel is muted. Would have saved me a bunch of time on the youth opera that I mixed and recorded, and mixed again in post earlier this year. It was annoying as hell to go back through an remute all the wireless mics when they were off stage. Would have been much easier to just have them muted in the recorded and not have to deal with it again.

Do you have a list of consoles that you have tried this software with?

I can provide testing with PM5D, CL5, LS9 and 01V96i.

That's great, Justice.
I've tested it on the CL and QL, the PM5D, M7CL and LS9 consoles as well as their editors. I've also tested it with the DM2000, 01V96 and 01V96i buy only via studio manager.
The CL and QL were quite different and very tricky. Took me an extra year of fiddling because of them, but it seems to be working now.

There's a "Contact Us" link at the bottom of my web site, I'd rather not post my e-mail here lest it be gobbled up by spam harvesters!
PM me if you have any trouble.

Last edited:

Update...

I now have made changes to the software to allow a kind of DiGiCo T extention "Alias" function.
Also, the program works on OSX via Wine. Ugly as hell, but if anyone was interested but was staying away because of the Windows requirement, it does seem to work now on OSX.

Check out the video and contact me if you're interested in helping with some Beta-testing!
Particularly, I'd love to get some expert OSX people to help me fix up the Mac version.

Update... I now have made changes to the software to allow a kind of DiGiCo T extention "Alias" function. Also, the program works on OSX via Wine. Ugly as hell, but if anyone was interested but was staying away because of the Windows requirement, it does seem to work now on OSX. Check out the video and contact me if you're interested in helping with some Beta-testing! Particularly, I'd love to get some expert OSX people to help me fix up the Mac version.

FWIW: A few years ago I started using the QT c++ library for development. The one code base can compile on both OsX and Windows. Excellent library documentation and easy to code in QTCreator or within VisualStudio.

Andrew - it's very interesting, what you are doing here. (I haven't had time to engage in the thread because of two overlapping musical theatre productions)

I'm having trouble envisioning how the whole thing works - where does what reside, is the console's own scene memory system out of the loop altogether, or?
I have a CL1, a CL5 and a QL1 which I often use for theatre work (the CL's mostly). As you probably know the CL's have a much better feature set than the M7 and LS9 regarding theatre (mainly the much more granular Focus Recall-feature), but there are still a few things that could be better.

One thing I've been missing in the production I had earlier this month some way of managing a "song" within a musical. I've been doing it this way: When a song starts, everything is recalled - both band and radio mics. But for changes during the song, most only the radio mics section is recalled, to allow for different singers doing different parts, ensemble parts etc. But if I want to make changes to the band later on during the song, I have to save those changes to the first Scene of the song, where everything is recalled. It would be fantastic with some kind of back-tracking feature that, when you press Store, looks back through the Scene Memories in reverse chronological order and saves each channel to the last scene in which it was in Focus. (and also when recalling a scene, that it could back-track and find the last time each channel was in Focus and recall the setting from that scene for that channel)

Can your software do this? I know DigiCo has a grouping feature in their Theatre version software where you define a song as a group of snapshots and it's handled that way.

I'm having trouble envisioning how the whole thing works
Don't feel bad, pretty much nobody understands the program until they see it in action, and even then it's a bit overwhelming! For that reason, I'm trying to show examples on my blog. I assume you've looked at them?

where does what reside, is the console's own scene memory system out of the loop altogether, or?
It's Windows software on your computer, connected to the console (or the editor). You can use it in conjunction with or without the Scene system, but I expect most commonly it would be used in conjunction with. There's some stuff that the scene memory is good for other things, YammieQ is good for. The main difference is YammieQ only stores what you've recorded into it, the Scene Memory on the console stores everything all the time.

One thing I've been missing in the production I had earlier this month some way of managing a "song" within a musical. I've been doing it this way: When a song starts, everything is recalled - both band and radio mics. But for changes during the song, most only the radio mics section is recalled, to allow for different singers doing different parts, ensemble parts etc. But if I want to make changes to the band later on during the song, I have to save those changes to the first Scene of the song, where everything is recalled. It would be fantastic with some kind of back-tracking feature that, when you press Store, looks back through the Scene Memories in reverse chronological order and saves each channel to the last scene in which it was in Focus. (and also when recalling a scene, that it could back-track and find the last time each channel was in Focus and recall the setting from that scene for that channel)

Can your software do this? I know DigiCo has a grouping feature in their Theatre version software where you define a song as a group of snapshots and it's handled that way.
Certainly my software can help, but again, it works outside the Scene system so I would handle the problem in a slightly different way.
I would create a scene at the start of the song, with all parameters that are static (the band) recalled, and all changing parameters (radio mics) safed. Using YammieQ I would record the radio mic changes as cues which you could fire in sequence until the end of the song. You could trigger these "in song" cues in a number of ways, a keystroke, a UDK, or even something that happens at the end of a cue, like a channel being muted. You could use a scene change on the console as well, but that wouldn't be the best choice. Additionally, you could decide whether the cues should auto-update so as you make changes the next time the cue is recalled the changes are there, or you can leave that off so that the cue always goes back to where it started when you fire it.

I can make a demo video of how I would handle your scenario which might clarify what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Andrew I'm always impressed with the clever stuff that you manage to whip up for bending Yamaha consoles to your will. Unfortunately little of it is applicable to what I do these days. One thing that Yamaha has dropped to ball on in a pretty substantial way would lend itself to some outside intervention if you're of a mind to look into it. The PM5D editor and I think the DM1000 editor offered the option to export the patch lists as tab text. Since then Yamaha has not seen fit to include that export function or even a plain white background, printable display of the patch list in any of the console editors. I would have thought that exporting tab text or a printable display of text would be failry simply in terms of programming resources but Yamaha seems not to see the value. Is that something you could whip up for the current crop of console editors?

Thanks for the kind words, Riley. I'm actually having a lot of trouble finding ANYONE that wants to try this software out, even though I'm convinced that people will find very interesting uses for it once they get the hang of it. I'm also discovering there's very few people that are what I'd call "Advanced" users of Yamaha equipment. Most just have one scene for the whole show and use it like an analog board. It's mostly just theater folk that look to automate much of anything, and not too many are using Yamaha consoles.

The PM5D editor and I think the DM1000 editor offered the option to export the patch lists as tab text. Since then Yamaha has not seen fit to include that export function or even a plain white background, printable display of the patch list in any of the console editors. I would have thought that exporting tab text or a printable display of text would be failry simply in terms of programming resources but Yamaha seems not to see the value. Is that something you could whip up for the current crop of console editors?
Umm... Ok, this is weird.
You (at least I think it was you) asked me about this last year, so I created a program to do that for the CL/QL as that's what you were interested in. You said though that you weren't interested because it was on Windows.
That WAS you, right?

Andy, my profuse apologies if I did indeed miss this or forgot entirely that you put it together. My memory being what it is those are both equally plausible scenarios. I have now pulled it down and it works like a champ on my Win XP virtual machine opening console files created with the Mac editor. I gather that the home base for your patch list utility is coming from the CL editor rather that QL editor. I note this because the utility identifies the QL analog inputs as Omni in the CL format rather than the Input designation used on the QL editor. This is going to be a huge time saver, thanks very much! I just carped about the lack of this function on the Yamaha console facebook page and several people commiserated. Do you mind if I drop your link there?

As to the paucity of respondents to your more whiz bang scene memory that may be a function of the forum you're posting in. The functionality you're adding to the consoles isn't something I can put to use in my one off life style here of building a show one day, running it the next and striking the day after. Don't know if you're on the
[email protected] but that is the sort of forum with users who would eat this sort of capability up.

Last edited:

Andy, my profuse apologies if I did indeed miss this or forgot entirely that you put it together. My memory being what it is those are both equally plausible scenarios. I have now pulled it down and it works like a champ on my Win XP virtual machine opening console files created with the Mac editor.
That's great! I expect it will work under Wine as well.

I gather that the home base for your patch list utility is coming from the CL editor rather that QL editor. I note this because the utility identifies the QL analog inputs as Omni in the CL format rather than the Input designation used on the QL editor.
Well, the file formats are the same, but you're correct, the CL Editor calls the Analog XLRs on the console "Omni" and the QL "Input". The CL Editor only allows you to choose 1-8, the QL 1-32. I had to pick something that would work with both consoles, and the files being identical means I can't tell if the file originally came from a QL or CL. If you open a QL file on the CL editor, you'll see that you can only select Omni 1-8 for the inputs. You did lead me to finding a small bug where the Inputs 16-32 were coming up as numbers rather than names. This is fixed in 1.0.5 which is up on my site now. Also fixed a printing bug.

This is going to be a huge time saver, thanks very much! I just carped about the lack of this function on the Yamaha console facebook page and several people commiserated. Do you mind if I drop your link there?
Of course! Hopefully people find it of some use.

As to the paucity of respondents to your more whiz bang scene memory that may be a function of the forum you're posting in. The functionality you're adding to the consoles isn't something I can put to use in my one off life style here of building a show one day, running it the next and striking the day after. Don't know if you're on the
[email protected] but that is the sort of forum with users who would eat this sort of capability up.
Yes, I'm there, and many of the "heavyweights" of the Theater sound world hang out there. I'd like to have the program beta-tested a bit before submitting it there in case there's some showstopper bugs.

Thanks for your support!