d+b sense-drive

Hi,

I'm a bit curious about the sense-drive as to what it actually means for the amp and sub.

I understand that it is used to help amp calculate the impedance of the sub factoring in the length of the cable.

So in my mind, a B2 & D12 used without the sense drive would yield what.. a lower possible maximum output than with a sense drive ?

Ie, not using 5 core cable means you're not using your speakers to their max capacity ?

Or does it somehow work in reverse ? More power is delivered without the sense, so having the sense means a brake is applied to the D12's output and you're protected from driving the sub too hard ?

Anyone, anyone,.... Bueller ?

Andrew

Re: d+b sense-drive

Andrew, yes you are correct. Without sense drive would yield a lower output.

Really simply, the sensedrive measures the voltage at the speaker... so, if amp is putting out 100V and the sensedrive measures 95V at the speaker, then the amp will put out 105.2something V so the voltage at the speaker is 100V. Of course it does it in real time, not as a retroactive step like I described it. And of course it will only do that if the amp is capable of going that hard; i.e. it won't compensate for 100m of 2.5 sq.mm cable on a J-sub.

Steve.