Danley TH118 vs Das Audio LX-218

Darin Bradfield

Apr 25, 2018
East London, South Africa
Good day. I am new to this forum and looking for some advice.

Currently we are running a all DAS Audio rig that consists of 16 x Aero 12a and 10 x LX-218 subwoofers.

We are looking at upgrading our rig. Has anyone out there ever heard both the LX-218 and the TH118 Subwoofers. We are wanting to sell off our das speakers and replace them with the TH118's. Would this be a wise move on our part? How do the subwoofers compare. And how do they act when grouped together. I am looking for any advice that might help to make this choice easier.

Basically we are looking at increasing our output but at the same time it would be awesome to reduce the total amount of subwoofers we need to transport.

Look forward to any help with regards to the above.

Good day. I am new to this forum and looking for some advice.

Currently we are running a all DAS Audio rig that consists of 16 x Aero 12a and 10 x LX-218 subwoofers.

We are looking at upgrading our rig. Has anyone out there ever heard both the LX-218 and the TH118 Subwoofers. We are wanting to sell off our das speakers and replace them with the TH118's. Would this be a wise move on our part? How do the subwoofers compare. And how do they act when grouped together. I am looking for any advice that might help to make this choice easier.

Basically we are looking at increasing our output but at the same time it would be awesome to reduce the total amount of subwoofers we need to transport.

Look forward to any help with regards to the above.

I've heard both, but not side by side. The LX218 was more muffled, lacked deeper low end, and wasn't real loud.

Also check out the TH118XL if you want a bit more of the deep bass, and the DBH218. The DBH does best in multiples and is a bit more "tight" sounding.

Thanks for the reply Caleb.

I have spoken to a few people and it seems the DBH218 would be a better option for us. how do you rate the DBH218 vs 2 x 118?
There is some personal preference at play, both ways. I personally prefer the DBH218, but only if used in pairs or more per "block". 4 or more is where you start getting the composite mouth area large enough to slightly lower the low corner frequency and the dip in the frequency response starts to rise/fill in.

With dolly boards DBH subs are easy to move, except up stairs, by 1 person.

They seem to do best with a lower LPF, 80 or under, plus some EQ above crossover to tame peaks.

Powersoft amps sounded the best from what I've used most, but I haven't used the Danley amps much.

Reactions: Darin Bradfield
I currently have 8 x DAS LX218 subwoofers. am looking to replace them with 4 x dbh218 subwoofers. do you think the danley will out perform the das? currently running the DAS off a Powersoft x4... going to use the same x for to drive the DBH218's... one per channel.

Thanks for all your help so far. some inside from everyone would be great. want this move to be a upgrade not a downgrade.

I currently have 8 x DAS LX218 subwoofers. am looking to replace them with 4 x dbh218 subwoofers. do you think the danley will out perform the das? currently running the DAS off a Powersoft x4... going to use the same x for to drive the DBH218's... one per channel.

Thanks for all your help so far. some inside from everyone would be great. want this move to be a upgrade not a downgrade.
If all 4 DBH subs are touching (say, 45" x 90" mouth) and powered by 2 X4 amps - yes, they should be better. One DBH per channel on an X4 is underpowering it, while one driver of a DBH per channel is less-underpowered.

You will need more than wall power (120V 20A) for the X4 to shine. While it is better than most brands when driving 2 ohm loads - it is still current limited, especially on bass guitar and other sustained sounds. Only the Danley DNA 20K4 (from memory) can handle 2 ohm loads on subwoofers, IF the speaker cables are very short and thick, and IF there is solid power coming in.

Since you have an X4 - I would get another, give them 208V or 240V power, and use the shortest 10 or 11 gauge speaker cables possible.

Make sure you get good limiter settings, especially the True Power limiter. HP filter around 35Hz. The DBH is a great sub, but I may have roasted a few drivers over the years, and they aren't cheap...

Good day. We have been running the x4 at 2 ohms for the past two years with no problems.
The X4 is capable of 5200w and usually we run 3 phase power. So power supply is not a problem for the amplifier.
According the the danley site the sub is 3600w. The x4 should have a additional 1600w in reserve.
According to the danley site the 20k is only 5000 a channel.

Sorry for questioning your advice. Im just trying to make sure i have everything sorted out. It's quite a big step for us.

Good day. We have been running the x4 at 2 ohms for the past two years with no problems.
The X4 is capable of 5200w and usually we run 3 phase power. So power supply is not a problem for the amplifier.
According the the danley site the sub is 3600w. The x4 should have a additional 1600w in reserve.
According to the danley site the 20k is only 5000 a channel.

Sorry for questioning your advice. Im just trying to make sure i have everything sorted out. It's quite a big step for us.
3 phase really helps.

At 2 ohms, the X4 puts out fill power for a couple seconds, then is throttled back. I don't have the exact time and level info handy. Its not as critical for rock and roll, but is something to keep in mind for EDM.

The DBH is rated at 3,600w RMS, 7,200w program. I typically aim for program power from the amps, and then use limiters to keep the sustained (thermal) power in check. This keeps the transients intact while not cooking the drivers.