Dante Virtual Soundcard license, portable or not?

Primoz Vozelj

Freshman
Apr 21, 2014
Is DVS license tied to computer on which you activate it the first time or is it tied to user and can be activated on different machines? I'll be recording 48 tracks to a rented Mac Pro via DVS. I'd rather buy permanent license because I think I'm gonna be using it more in the future. But since I'll be using it on a rented machine it makes more sense buying temporary license if it is not portable.

Re: Dante Virtual Soundcard license, portable or not?

Ehh..not really.

IIRC, when I rebuilt my recording laptop I had to email Audinate and get them to release the first activation so I could reuse it. It would be nice if they would allow you to put it on a USB flash drive, like Waves does with their plugin authorizations.

Is DVS license tied to computer on which you activate it the first time or is it tied to user and can be activated on different machines? I'll be recording 48 tracks to a rented Mac Pro via DVS. I'd rather buy permanent license because I think I'm gonna be using it more in the future. But since I'll be using it on a rented machine it makes more sense buying temporary license if it is not portable.

As Justice notes, not really transportable, but if you are renting a machine to do this recording, specify that you need it to come with DVS installed. Since it will be hard to get it off the machine once your gig is over, let the rental company buy it ($29) and install, and test it before sending you the machine. Then they have a machine with DVS installed for future rentals. If the rental company owns any Dante hardware they would have received a free license for DVS with each piece of hardware they bought.

Mac

So I'm gonna buy 7 days license. The computer I'm renting isn't from a PA rental company but from a TV post studio and they're not interested in DVS. It's a MacPro with fresh installation of OSX. Does anyone know which is the latest version of DVS that supports 10.7.5 Lion?

Audinate site says 10.8.5 minimum for DVS. Apple made some substantial changes with 10.8 it seems, a fair number of apps require that as a minimum OS.

So I'm gonna buy 7 days license. The computer I'm renting isn't from a PA rental company but from a TV post studio and they're not interested in DVS. It's a MacPro with fresh installation of OSX. Does anyone know which is the latest version of DVS that supports 10.7.5 Lion?

A fresh installation of 10.7.5? It's not that fresh. You rent a computer and they don't set it up the way you want it? Lame.

Mac

I find multitrack recording the most stressful part of my job. This is all based on previous bad experiences (DPC latency on PCs, subwoofer mechanical vibrations crashing HD24s, incompatible HDDs with HD24s, overheating HDDs in MBPs, etc.). The machine that never failed me so far is Mac Pro and for this show I was only able to get the original Mac Pro and latest officially supported OSX on original Mac Pro is 10.7.5.
DVS 3.7.1.3 supports 10.7.5 and was released in 2015 so I'm gonna go with this version.

For this show I'm recording 48ch, so all I can do is to wait for the day when Uli comes out with X48 (with POP groups).

For this show I'm recording 48ch, so all I can do is to wait for the day when Uli comes out with X48 (with POP groups).
What software are you using to record?

If it's Protools you will be limited to 32 channels of I/O unless you have HD hardware connected, which if you did you wouldn't be using DVA straight into the computer.

Dante Virtual Soundcard license, portable or not?

Everything was fine. I was recording from FOH console, and the monitoring guy was recording madi stream from his console. There was no word clock sync between consoles(analog split) so after 3 hours of recording my tracks are about half a second longer, but it's not a problem in this case.