David Brubek, RIP

Re: David Brubek, RIP

I've had the pleasure of working with Dave Brubeck and all of his sons at one time or another and he was a talented, funny and NICE man on top of everything else.

My "across the road" neighbor Bev Thorne is the architect who designed both Brubeck family homes, the one they lived in here in Oakland and the one they later moved to in Connecticut.

Bev Thorne: Brubeck Home Designer - JazzWax

One that needs no introduction.

As a kid I remember watching "The Secret Life of Machines" which was my first introduction to his music. That show's theme song was a cover of "Take Five."

Thread and topic shift. You're younger than I am. What I had as a kid was Watch Mr. Wizard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I learned a lot but the music was nowhere near as hip as "Take Five"

Last edited:
Re: David Brubek, RIP

One that needs no introduction.

As a kid I remember watching "The Secret Life of Machines" which was my first introduction to his music. That show's theme song was a cover of "Take Five."

I've always had "Take Five" as a favorite since first hearing it when it came out. But I got a huge shot of the significance of the tune when it was used in the soundtrack of "Pleasantville". If you haven't seen the movie, do yourself a favor and watch it. Mr. Brubeck and Etta James distill and amplify the film/story in amazing ways.

DB on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/HCYQEhHxHnTJA

Select "play all"

Last edited: