Digico SD10, 8 with Firbre, Madi

Hi,

I'd like to ask some advice from Digico guru's to see if this can be done. In my part of the world it is not easy to cross hire digico pieces; and there is a one-off gig where we're hoping to make work what we have rather than freight something in.

Consoles are SD10 and SD8; racks are Madi rack (48in, 16 out) and SD Rack (56 in, 24 out). Madi rack has only BNC; SD rack I think has both fibre and BNC.

Digico has gain sharing; mons & FOH guy are happy to do this. We need a total of 70 inputs on stage; and something like 30 outputs from monitor console.

Question: Can we link up both racks to share inputs across both consoles and, assign most of the outputs to a monitor console ? If we can, can you give some tips on how to do this - any gotchas ?

Regards,

Andrew

Re: Digico SD10, 8 with Firbre, Madi

What connections do the surfaces have? Do they both have Optocore (ST or HMA) or is one BNC (MADI) only? That will help determine the best way to cable this setup.

The short answer is: yes it is possible. You will need to make sure everything is clocked at the lowest common denominator, which I believe is limited by the MADI rack to 48k.

Simply MADI both racks to both consoles. Both racks have a MADI Main and MADI Aux out.

Does the FOH console need any outputs on either stage rack?

Outputs can be allocated to the consoles per-rack by cabling the console you want to have the outputs to the MADI Main connection. To split the outputs by card, both consoles have to be on Optocore

Next thing I need to check out is whether Digigrid server will play nicely at 48K and, if the FOH and Mons guys are ok with 48.

Well.

With this config, you'll only have spare output madi ports (potentially), and that means no Waves unless the consoles are waves enabled. In terms of a digigrid, 48k is fine. MADI is built around 48k, and 48k is the industry standard for digital audio, so you'll ironically have more issues when you go to 96k.

FWIW, you can run all this at 96 if you like, but you are limited then to only 32ch per MADI port on the consoles. Since your consoles only have 2 MADI ports, you won't get your 70 channels.

Well.

With this config, you'll only have spare output madi ports (potentially), and that means no Waves unless the consoles are waves enabled. In terms of a digigrid, 48k is fine. MADI is built around 48k, and 48k is the industry standard for digital audio, so you'll ironically have more issues when you go to 96k.

FWIW, you can run all this at 96 if you like, but you are limited then to only 32ch per MADI port on the consoles. Since your consoles only have 2 MADI ports, you won't get your 70 channels.

Technically on the SD10 he also has fiber that can run 96k with no issues.
On the SD rack you can also down convert one of the ports to 48k if you want and keep the other ports and the fiber at 96k

It does sound like it may be best to run 48k on this one however

db

Technically on the SD10 he also has fiber that can run 96k with no issues.
On the SD rack you can also down convert one of the ports to 48k if you want and keep the other ports and the fiber at 96k

It does sound like it may be best to run 48k on this one however

db

Correct.

But if the mons desk needs the outputs, the rack needs to be run at the same sample rate as the console, which for MADI channel count in this case will need to be 48k.