Digico SD9, Waves Soundgrid, Pro Tools setup

Josh Voyles

Freshman
Dec 31, 2014
I have a question I was hoping to get answered.

I have Pro Tools 11, A Digico SD9 and RME Madiface USB.

I'd like to upgrade to a Waves Soundgrid package while taking advantage the higher channel count Pro Tools HD offers.

Would Pro Tools HD 11, Digigrid MGB, Digigrid DLI, Soundgrid Server and Avid HD Native Thunderbolt interface offer me around 40 channels of record/playback and 16 channels of Waves Multirack on the same computer? If this would work, would a Digigrid DLS work instead of the separate server?

Thanks in advance!!

I'm also concerned about any latency that might throw the channels out of phase while playing back the audio.

Re: Digico SD9, Waves Soundgrid, Pro Tools setup

This Digigrid will get you 128 channels of recording and 128 channels of playback @ 48 kHz, or 64 channels of recording and 64 channels of playback at 96 kHz. At that point you are only limited by your recording software/hardware. The Digigrid MGB specs out latency at <1ms, so if you're recording and playing back tracks simultaneously, your main latency is going to be in the software/buffer realm.

Do you absolutely need ProTools for this particular purpose? If not, you can simplify things (a lot) and save money (a lot) with only:

- Digico SD9
- Digigrid MGB
- Netgear GS108v3 switch
- Soundgrid Server
- Reaper license

Upgrade the SD9 with the Waves card and you can get control of the Soundgrid rack on the desk itself.

This Digigrid will get you 128 channels of recording and 128 channels of playback @ 48 kHz, or 64 channels of recording and 64 channels of playback at 96 kHz. At that point you are only limited by your recording software/hardware. The Digigrid MGB specs out latency at <1ms, so if you're recording and playing back tracks simultaneously, your main latency is going to be in the software/buffer realm.

Do you absolutely need ProTools for this particular purpose? If not, you can simplify things (a lot) and save money (a lot) with only:

- Digico SD9
- Digigrid MGB
- Netgear GS108v3 switch
- Soundgrid Server
- Reaper license

Upgrade the SD9 with the Waves card and you can get control of the Soundgrid rack on the desk itself.

Thanks Brian for responding. Unfortunately, the set up needs to be Pro Tools. The SD9 Waves card is an option but the console would need to be shipped to Music Group which would include some downtime. This may be an option but I'm also considering the pros of having the plugins on a separate screen.

I think if Pro Tools isusing Soundgrid as the playback engine there won't be a problem, but I don't think I'd be able to initiate Pro Tools in HD. Running HD makes things more convoluted but maybe there is a way to simplify things.

Thanks Brian for responding. Unfortunately, the set up needs to be Pro Tools. The SD9 Waves card is an option but the console would need to be shipped to Music Group which would include some downtime. This may be an option but I'm also considering the pros of having the plugins on a separate screen.

I think if Pro Tools isusing Soundgrid as the playback engine there won't be a problem, but I don't think I'd be able to initiate Pro Tools in HD. Running HD makes things more convoluted but maybe there is a way to simplify things.

The Waves card in the desk may be able to be installed by your servicing dealer (or even field-installed) without having to send it back to Group 1 (assuming you are in the US - not Music Group...the humanity!).

So are you having to do both playback and recording simultaneously, live?

The Waves card in the desk may be able to be installed by your servicing dealer (or even field-installed) without having to send it back to Group 1 (assuming you are in the US - not Music Group...the humanity!).

So are you having to do both playback and recording simultaneously, live?

Sorry...I meant Group One. I've been checking out a lot of the new Midas gear lately. 8)~:cool:~:cool:

I don't need to record/playback at the same time. I just need to quickly go between recording and then playback for virtual soundcheck.

I just received an email back from Digigrid and it looks like I can use the MGB+DLS and then route audio to Pro Tools via the HD Native Thunderbolt Interface for more than 32 tracks.

I'm still getting clarification on the setup because it looks like there are a few different ways to route audio. Hopefully, I'm able to get a diagram.