Digital Snake Routing Help

Bill Schnake

Freshman
Mar 21, 2013
Springfield, IL
Hi and thanks in advance for you help. We are currently using both Yamaha (M7CL) and Behringer X32 consoles. We are moving towards purchasing a Midas Pro2 and DL251. What I would like to know is there a better way to do my monitor console and house console hook-up. Let's say we are using the M7CL for monitors and the Midas Pro2 for FOH. My thought is to go to an analog split snake for my input patch, take the monitor split and run it to the Yamaha M7CL then run the front of house split to the DL251. Once I am into the DL251 I can run AES50 to FOH for 48 in and 16 out. This seems to be an easier way then trying to figure out a common interface between mixing formats, if that was even possible. So, have I missed anything and is there an easier way to get Yamaha, Behringer and Midas to all play in the same sandbox. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Bill 8)~:cool:~:cool:

Re: Digital Snake Routing Help

Hi and thanks in advance for you help. We are currently using both Yamaha (M7CL) and Behringer X32 consoles. We are moving towards purchasing a Midas Pro2 and DL251. What I would like to know is there a better way to do my monitor console and house console hook-up. Let's say we are using the M7CL for monitors and the Midas Pro2 for FOH. My thought is to go to an analog split snake for my input patch, take the monitor split and run it to the Yamaha M7CL then run the front of house split to the DL251. Once I am into the DL251 I can run AES50 to FOH for 48 in and 16 out. This seems to be an easier way then trying to figure out a common interface between mixing formats, if that was even possible. So, have I missed anything and is there an easier way to get Yamaha, Behringer and Midas to all play in the same sandbox. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

You should consider getting this: http://www.klarkteknik.com/dn9650.php

Thanks

Hi Bill. Analog splits are still heavily used for several reasons - head amp control, system isolation, and the difficulty in interfacing different systems. I don't believe there is an easier way than that. If you want to try a digital distribution system, Dante appears to be winning, but I'm not sure that means it's easier or even cheaper than an analog splitter.

just because you have an anlogue split doesn't mean you need a multi for it, just some tails into each console for added neatness the multipin plugs wired into the dl251 and a doghouse mounted tailset for the yammi is a good thing.

just because you have an anlogue split doesn't mean you need a multi for it...
That's a great point Gordon. We could since the snake head would be in the same case as the DL251 we could simply have a 48 channel 3' tail run to the DL251 and have a hard wired 25' tail with a 4' split to whatever we used for monitors. If we reversed the situation and put the Pro 2 at monitors we could run the 25' split to a digital snake head to go to house.

Thanks for the idea. Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Bill

Analog Splits in Digi World

My guess is that passive analog splits in the digital world dont suffer the same noise issues we were so happy to entertain when we in the analog world? Is that true or am I dreaming? :lol:

Re: Analog Splits in Digi World

My guess is that passive analog splits in the digital world dont suffer the same noise issues we were so happy to entertain when we in the analog world? Is that true or am I dreaming? :lol:

You might be dreaming, or not. Which noises, from what causes? We've been using passive & transformer analog splitters with digital consoles for as long as we've had digital consoles. The old hums and buzzes between the analog desks and some of the input sources have largely gone away. It's not because of 1s and 0s, it's because the console manufacturers have done a better job of dealing with "pin 1 issues" in these new designs.

The rest of the noize - bass rig direct outs, funky keyboard mixers with all kinds of ground loops from the players 'interesting' patch cords... those are still with us, but they're on the other side of the inputs...

IIRC, Dante on the M7 is limited to 16ch per card, so three KT9650 would be needed to get 48ch from a DL251 to the M7 (and three Dante cards for the M7 as well). If you already have a splitter, that's the cheapest route for now.

The slickest would be a pair of DL431, but now you're talking some bucks - although when you upgrade from the M7 to another Midas, you'd have separate preamp control for the consoles. But you'd also have to add a DL output box.

IIRC, Dante on the M7 is limited to 16ch per card, so three KT9650 would be needed to get 48ch from a DL251 to the M7 (and three Dante cards for the M7 as well). If you already have a splitter, that's the cheapest route for now.

The slickest would be a pair of DL431, but now you're talking some bucks - although when you upgrade from the M7 to another Midas, you'd have separate preamp control for the consoles. But you'd also have to add a DL output box.

could you not just put the 3 dante outputs into an Ethernet switch then one out from there to the 9650?

As was suggested earlier analogue splits with some tailsets are still more useful right now, until there is is truly one coherant and system agnostic connection method there is no real way of being sure barring a bust line that it'll work with what ever is onstage today. The picture is of the local dry hire company's splitters, on the other side are your typical 3 multi pin outs, these can either go into any of their digital cosole stage boxes which are all prewired to accept this or they have tailsets which can be plugged into the console of choice in this case my Roland desk for running M48 IEMs, the Profile at FOH was connected with the usual BNC multicore, I've used this setup loads of times with various consoles and it just works, in fact we've had more issues with the profile's BNC system than with the analogue splitters. G

Attachments

• 20140504_164111.jpg
    20140504_164111.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 0