DIY Horn

Jan 15, 2011
I found this laying around, and it looks like an attempt at a DIY horn. I can't imagine it sounding too great, with the two drivers combining the way they do. Anyone know what the thought process may be behind this?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 3
Re: DIY Horn

Anyone know what the thought process may be behind this?

"Louder". Looks like a horn I recognize... and then someone went and welded on another. One of those things where someone thought it would work they way they wanted because wishing makes it so. Probably wouldn't be any louder, since for the same price as two horns and two mediocre drivers you could probably buy one horn and one very good driver.

"Louder". Looks like a horn I recognize... and then someone went and welded on another. One of those things where someone thought it would work they way they wanted because wishing makes it so. Probably wouldn't be any louder, since for the same price as two horns and two mediocre drivers you could probably buy one horn and one very good driver.

How would that sound with different frequency ranges handled by the two drivers?

That's not so bad if it's louder, right?
Why is "louder" better. If some freq is louder, but many others are quieter (due to the cancellation) is the better? It would not have a very flat response (due to the cancellation notches) but at some freq there would probably be some addition-but you can't use that addition-because it will be "louder" than the rest of the response-so you would have to eq it out..

But yes it might be louder-at some freq. Most people are interested in more than one freq when using a sound system.

Also the horn loading and pattern control that the horn offers is pretty much completely gone- so the coverage would be all over the place (ie different at different freq) and you would only get partial lorn loading (which results in gain-louder etc).

I am with Bennett-it may be a tad louder "maybe", but not for anything useful.

When you get rid of the interactions between loudspeakers-things start to sound a lot better. But for some people it is not about sound quality-only sound quantity. So the rules of the game are different.

I read Kristian's reply as sarcastic.

I hope it was a prototype that was discarded. After all what design engineer hasn't had a prototype or mockup head for the trash heap/recycle bin when it didn't perform as imagined on paper.

I read Kristian's reply as sarcastic.

I hope it was a prototype that was discarded. After all what design engineer hasn't had a prototype or mockup head for the trash heap/recycle bin when it didn't perform as imagined on paper.

... Should have been imagined IN paper instead of ON paper ...

(7 yr old photo to bring a smile to your faces)

Attachments

• DSC05070.jpg
    DSC05070.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 4

Why is "louder" better. If some freq is louder, but many others are quieter (due to the cancellation) is the better? It would not have a very flat response (due to the cancellation notches) but at some freq there would probably be some addition-but you can't use that addition-because it will be "louder" than the rest of the response-so you would have to eq it out..

But yes it might be louder-at some freq. Most people are interested in more than one freq when using a sound system.

Also the horn loading and pattern control that the horn offers is pretty much completely gone- so the coverage would be all over the place (ie different at different freq) and you would only get partial lorn loading (which results in gain-louder etc).

I am with Bennett-it may be a tad louder "maybe", but not for anything useful.

When you get rid of the interactions between loudspeakers-things start to sound a lot better. But for some people it is not about sound quality-only sound quantity. So the rules of the game are different.

Your sarcasmometer isn't calibrated to mine ;)

I found this laying around, and it looks like an attempt at a DIY horn. I can't imagine it sounding too great, with the two drivers combining the way they do. Anyone know what the thought process may be behind this?

Gentlemen, this is NOT a speaker horn. It is an airbox manifold riser for a pair of single barrel Stromberg NS-3SA carburetors.

That's MY story and I'm stickin' to it ;-) !