DOT numbers?

I'm reading over the information on DOT numbers for my company since I deal a lot with box trucks. I have a DOT number for my company, but the DOT rules state that my company name and DOT number need to be visible on the truck.

What do you do in a case like mine where you only rent a truck from Penske or Ryder for a few days at a time? The clerk at the Ryder location wasn't even sure about it. He said he thought I just needed to register my number with them, and then their name and DOT number on the truck would take care of the signage requirements.

Re: DOT numbers, Hours of Service, Motor Carrier Regulations

The Federal Regulation is here: 49CFR § 390.21 Marking of CMVs. In a nutshell, your Ryder guy is both right and wrong (it depends...). If you're renting for a period of 30 calendar days, their numbers and name on the door, with the rental contract, will suffice. If you rent a truck for more than 30 days, you need signage that says ''Operated by: *registered name* and DOT number.'' Both sides of the ''power unit.'' Removable signage is allowed if all other requirements (visibility etc) are met. I've seen big, fat permanent marker on white 2'' gaff, I've seen magnetic signs ('helped' with gaff), too.

You will need to contact your State authority having jurisdiction to determine if there are other regulations you must comply with, but in general, if you operate a vehicle of 10,001 GVW or more (including any towed units) in the pursuit of commerce, you are operating a commercial vehicle. If you operate that vehicle or vehicle/trailer combo more than 100 miles* from your ''home terminal'' intrastate, or interstate to any extent, you will need to keep a Driver's logbook and keep it correctly. Tuition payments begin at $250/ea for logbook violations, and you can be sidelined 10 hours if your hours of service don't add up nice and legal. Read more here: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/topics/hos/index.htm They have a very good HoS guide in PDF format, too: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/driver/hos/fmcsa-guide-to-hos.pdf

You'll need a DOT Medical Examiner's Certificate, too. Around $60 at your local occupational medicine clinic. The cert is good for up to 2 years, examiner's judgment. Ours takes cash only, but no appointment needed.

I'm pretty sure you know most of this, so think of it as building content we can tell n00bs to search for.
icon_cool.gif

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

* This may be different in each state, but the Federal regs have a ''Non-CDL Short Haul Exemptions'' of various kinds that can change the game considerably.

Re: DOT numbers?

Tom,

The way I understand it, all parties involved in motor freight need to have a USDOT... owner, operator, freight forwarder, etc.

AFAIK, the number on the truck has to be the owner of the truck or, in the case of a permanent lessee, the lessee's number goes on it.

As long as you have a number, follow the rules, and drive a rented truck (that is not a permanent lease) with Penske's or Ryder's number, you are OK.

I'm not positive on this, but fairly sure. You could call your local State Police office, DMV, or the regional contact for the FMCSA.

Edit, I stand corrected. Tim seems to know a bit more than I about this.

Hey Tim,

Check out section e where it talks about Rented CMVs.

Rented CMVs. A motor carrier operating a self-propelled CMV under a

rental agreement having a term not in

excess of 30 calendar days meets the requirements of this section if:

(1) The CMV is marked in accordance

with the provisions of paragraphs (b)

through (d) of this section; or

(2) The CMV is marked as set forth in

paragraph (e)(2)(i) through (iv) of this

section:

(i) The legal name or a single trade

name of the lessor is displayed in accordance with paragraphs (c) and (d) of

this section.

(ii) The lessor's identification number preceded by the letters ''USDOT'' is

displayed in accordance with paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section; and

(iii) The rental agreement entered

into by the lessor and the renting

motor carrier conspicuously contains

the following information:

(A) The name and complete physical

address of the principal place of business of the renting motor carrier;

(B) The identification number issued

the renting motor carrier by the

FMCSA, preceded by the letters

''USDOT,'' if the motor carrier has been

issued such a number. In lieu of the

identification number required in this

paragraph, the following may be shown

in the rental agreement:

(1) Information which indicates

whether the motor carrier is engaged

in ''interstate'' or ''intrastate'' commerce; and

(2) Information which indicates

whether the renting motor carrier is

transporting hazardous materials in

the rented CMV;

(C) The sentence: ''This lessor cooperates with all Federal, State, and local

law enforcement officials nationwide

to provide the identity of customers

who operate this rental CMV''; and

(iv) The rental agreement entered

into by the lessor and the renting

motor carrier is carried on the rental

CMV during the full term of the rental

agreement. See the leasing regulations

at 49 CFR 376 for information that

should be included in all leasing documents.

By this, I think just having Ryder's USDOT and name, and the required information is in the rental agreement.

Yeah, I should have kept reading.... That's new language from whenever I printed out the regs 6 or 7 years ago. IIRC the previous exemption was for rental trucks in ''personal'' use (household moves, recreation or hobbies).

I'm pretty sure Kansas requires operator's DOT numbers or KS Corp Commission registration on rented trucks, too. We had a KCC transportation audit a few years back and suddenly had magnetic signs... but I didn't sit through that audit so it might just be a coincidence.
icon_wink.gif

I'll go back and edit my reply to Tom..

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Please also keep in mind that if you registered for a DOT number in the last year or so you are entered into the new entrant program and automatically signed up for a new entry safety audit as part of CSA2010.

You'll need a driver file for each of your company drivers with things such as the long form medical certificate, DMV records, driving road test and if they are CDL drivers your drug testing records.

I have an new entrant audit coming up [it has been several months but they haven't called yet], but so far I haven't driven any over 10k vehicles as I've been trying very hard to stay in cargo and sprinter vans after learning of all the compliance requirements.

YMMV, there are firms out there that can assist you in compliance for a small fee.

You can always play it safe, and have a magnetic sign made for your numbers and info, just stick it on the rental truck, better to be covered than without it, it's cheap insurance the portble geastopo units won't hassle you then. only drawback is with freightliner m2 trucks, they are made of aluminum bodies, unless your from way in the future, when magnets will be made for that, just tape the sucker on.

tk