4099D Low – for high SPLs up to 152 dB DAD6001-BC

4099G Normal – for SPLs up to 142 dB DAD4099

4099P Normal – for SPLs up to 142 dB DAD6001-BC

4099S Normal – for SPLs up to 142 dB DAD4099

4099T Low – for high SPLs up to 152 dB DAD4099

4099U Normal – for SPLs up to 142 dB DAD6001-BC

4099V Normal – for SPLs up to 142 dB DAD4099

Re: DPA 4099 variations

Great. Thanks for the info. Any tips on placement for piano? DPA has a guide I suppose I should read.

Jason....

From what I've done with grands for live sound, broadcast and recording I'd channel Ivan and say, "It depends". In doing live broadcast and working with engineers such as David Oakes, I've gotten splits on a lot of different setups including:

pair of ribbons L/R just on the inside of the hammers

pair of LDC's low/high about 1/3 of the way back from the hammers

57 in the hole

and many more. Sometimes there would be a 184 all the way down at the end on a full-size grand in addition to a low/high pair.

I can say that the one that sounded the best to me and had the least bleed from loud monitors was the pair of ribbons. The "velocity" response was the most natural and dynamic sound I've ever heard and was especially necessary for any pianist to whom touch is paramount.

Jason....

From what I've done with grands for live sound, broadcast and recording I'd channel Ivan and say, "It depends". In doing live broadcast and working with engineers such as David Oakes, I've gotten splits on a lot of different setups including:

pair of ribbons L/R just on the inside of the hammers

pair of LDC's low/high about 1/3 of the way back from the hammers

57 in the hole

and many more. Sometimes there would be a 184 all the way down at the end on a full-size grand in addition to a low/high pair.

I can say that the one that sounded the best to me and had the least bleed from loud monitors was the pair of ribbons. The "velocity" response was the most natural and dynamic sound I've ever heard and was especially necessary for any pianist to whom touch is paramount.

I'm pretty shure (pun intended) he was talking about placement of DPA 4099 in a piano ;)

Usually we have them about midway in the piano in a XY pattern. usually paired with a helpenstill piano pickup. Piano usually almost entirely closed (to reduce bleed)

I'm pretty shure (pun intended) he was talking about placement of DPA 4099 in a piano ;)

Usually we have them about midway in the piano in a XY pattern. usually paired with a helpenstill piano pickup. Piano usually almost entirely closed (to reduce bleed)

I would still say that the situation vis a vis type of music, onstage SPL, monitor placement, etc dictate placement to a degree. Probably the salient consideration would be the amount of hammer attack desired. I believe that DPA does have a mounting bar and install instructions available.

With the 4099's I'd either go with a close-but-pointing-out pair in the center near the hammers, or near the hammers but spaced 1/3-2/3 of the way across the width of the keyboard (where the Earthworks shower curtain pole puts them). Sometimes another mic (doesn't have to be anything fancy) down near the tail to get more LF from the soundboard.