DSP

Re: DSP

=Im also the guy in the back of the room calling out frequencies when the guest engineer cant nail down feedback.

Are you just calling out the 31 band center frequencies or are you actually calling out the frequency itself????

I do not have perfect pitch, but with a few seconds to reference the ringing frequency to my personal vocal range I can usually get it substantially closer than the ISO GEQ centers.....sometimes right down to the note itself. This after a lifetime of playing music by ear and no rehearsals.

If you can call frequencies better than me, I'll be impressed with your ''gift''. But it's a gift you can keep to yourself, thanks.

Re: DSP

One of our frequent venues is round, with a domed roof. If I don't recognize the BE, I'll ask if he's ''been here before?'' If not, I welcome him to ''the Round Mound of Sound'' and pass on my observations about the empty/full floor and EQ and the floor bounce combing that will go away with punters, and point out the room modes that seem to hang more than others.

The theaters and other spaces we work require less heads-up from me, so I generally try to hand over a linear rig to the BE, ready for him/her to voice as is seen fit.

More specific guidance is usually upon request only, unless I can tell there is some kind of struggle. I try to be nice, ''it looks like something isn't working the way you expect; is there something I can assist with?'' I can only think of one instance in the last 3 or 4 years where I had to say 'hey, dude, flatten it out and start over, you're killing yourself here... and close the spectrum app on your phone.'

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc