Dual headphones on a soundboard

Mickey Martin

Apr 27, 2019
Texas
I am an amateur soundboard operator for my church. At previous churches I have attended, I relied heavily on the headphones to PFL various channels to identify the sounds coming through them, such as figuring out which electric guitar is making which sound, to identify the sounds of the singers, and to quickly identify channels that are suddenly causing feedback.

At my current church, the headphones are used the entire time by the slide operator because he is listening to a channel that identifies the upcoming chorus, verse, and ticks like a metronome for the band to keep time, etc.

Is there a way to connect two sets of headphones to the board, where I never have to listen to the metronome channel, and he doesn't have to listen to the channels I randomly select for PFL?

Any advice or tips greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If there's a spare Aux available, set the other operator up with their own mix on that (just like a musician's monitor mix). The only extra gear you might need is an outboard headphone amp, but for the kind of use you describe, an entry level product (maybe even Behringer) should do well enough, so won't be much cost.
That lets you keep the flexibility of using the PFL/AFL functions in your normal workflow.

I'm with David M, giving the Pro Presenter operator a feed from a mix output would be preferred. My first question, though, is why is the cue track sent to the sound board? To me that seems to be a mixerperson error waiting to happen.

Is the cue track/click track automated (i.e. played back via the Presenter computer) or is it a live cue, either recorded trigger or music directory using a separate mic to cue the Presenter operator?